These sweet and spicy turkey sloppy joes are super flavorful and easy to make, and will become a family favorite for dinnertime.
I originally posted this recipe over 5 years ago! At the time (5 years ago) when I was about to photograph the recipe the power went out, but I still went ahead and snapped some pictures and posted them (the photos were super dark and bad lol). I’ve made them countless times over the years but just never photographed them again until now!
It wasn’t until we were stuck inside for the umpteenth snow day and I made these for a quick lunch that I snapped some pictures because I wanted to show how amazing these sloppy joes made with ground turkey really are!
Time to be honest…sloppy joe’s weren’t a dish that was ever served in my house growing up, like, never ever ever! The only time I can remember having them is when I went over to my friends house down the street where they were on the weekly menu. I loved the way the bread sopped up the juicy meat, and the slightly sweet and tangy flavor they had.
For some reason, I hadn’t thought of making sloppy joes until I was staring at the contents of my fridge in bewilderment thinking ‘what should I make for dinner?’ We had Italian turkey sausages, one bell pepper and some sliced Pepperjack cheese. That’s how these amazing sweet and spicy sloppy Joe sandwiches came together.
These sandwiches can be served on Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls as sliders, or on regular buns for more of a hearty dinner. I have made them for parties countless times.
The filling of these turkey sloppy Joe’s can be made and frozen and then heated when you’re ready to enjoy them, they make a great freezer meal!
What I love is that these sweet and spicy turkey sloppy Joe sandwiches have a super quick cook time, so you can have dinner on the table in 20 minutes!
My husband loves sloppy Joe sandwiches and requests these all the time. Looking for another quick sloppy Joe recipe? I have a great one in my cookbook Fast and Easy Five-Ingredient Recipes: A Cookbook For Busy People
Go pick up the ingredients for these sweet and spicy turkey sloppy joes and make it tonight!!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Sheet Pan Meal Ground Turkey Balsamic Meatloaf
- The Best Ground Turkey Tacos
- Easy Healthy Asian Ground Turkey Lettuce Wrap Salad
Sweet and Spicy Italian Sausage Sloppy Joe Sliders
- 1 Tbs canola oil or a neutral oil like vegetable oil
- 1.25 lbs Italian turkey sausage casing removed (or ground turkey)
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 Tbs ketchup
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp pepper
- 6 slices pepperjack cheese
- 6 burger buns or 12 King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- In a large frying pan add canola oil and uncased Italian turkey sausage (you can buy it either ground or in casing, either is fine, or you could use ground turkey) fry over medium high heat breaking up the meat for 5 minutes, then add the bell pepper pieces and continue to cook for 2 minutes, then add the Ketchup and Worcestershire Sauce, salt, chili powder and cayenne.
- Next add the can of tomato paste and water and stir until the tomato paste is part of the sauce and no clumps remain. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and there are is no pink remaining.
- To serve place one or two heaping spoonfuls onto a bun, place a piece of pepperjack cheese on top and serve!