This Vegan Red Lentil Chili is quite simply amazing. The flavors are perfectly melded and comforting with just the right amount of spice. As with some of my favorite dishes, you can totally modify this recipe for what you have on hand…have an extra carrot? Add it, have an extra vegetable that you’ve been wanting to use? Throw that in there too!
A few weeks ago I was part of a Lent cooking class where I shared (and did a little cooking demonstration) on how to make Spice Rubbed Tilapia Tacos (it’s one of my old recipes, so please excuse the post.)
<– Also, please note how awkward/nervous I look, but it was really fun, and I learned that making Tilapia tacos for 20+ requires quite a lot of pans!
While all the dishes that were served and demonstrated were delicious, I kept coming back to the Lentil Chili…it was so good and I kept thinking ‘it shouldn’t be this good, how is it so good? I need to make this when I get home’
Luckily, a packet with all the recipes was handed out, and so today I’m sharing this delicious recipe with a few small edits, original recipe and demostration shared by Jean P.
Making the chili is super easy, just cook up some vegetables with seasonings, put them in a crock pot with Red Lentils and then come back after a few hours and voila, you’re all done!
For the lentils I used Bob’s Red Mill brand Red Lentils, they can be found in the flour isle in the grocery store – or by the rice (I’m not affiliated with Bob’s Red Mill, I just happen to use and love their products.)
Now on to the recipe, and like I said earlier, feel free to add more veggies (I spoke with my mother in law who also made this vegan chili and she said she added a lot more veggies!)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs paprika
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 14.5oz each cans diced tomatoes (I used zesty mild green chile tomatoes)
- 1 Tbs salt
- [16 oz dried red lentils]
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Start by chopping all the veggies. Cook onions, carrots, celery, and red bell pepper in a frying pan in the olive oil over high heat. Add all the seasonings and cook the veggies for about 5 minutes.
- In a crock pot empty the two cans of diced tomatoes, the red lentils, vegetable stock, and the sauted vegetables. Cook for 4 hrs on high or 6-8 hrs on low. Turn heat off, stir, and let sit for half an hour, then serve and enjoy!