Brighten your day and forget the cold with this light and airy toasted coconut and lemon cake that just so happens to be vegan!
Has it been cold where you live? Has it been downright cold-to-the-bone? It has literally been freezing where I live in Milwaukee, WI. With the temperatures being what they are, it makes me want to escape to a faraway land with palm trees and sand. As I was shivering standing in my cold kitchen, looking outside at the snow covered ground, all I could think about was warmer climates and sunshine.
And nothing conjures up thoughts of tropical places like the flavors of coconut and the bright color of lemons, so why not combine the two into a delicious cake? Cake makes everything better, right?
I had been playing around with the coconut-lemon flavor combination for a while, and could not have been happier at the cake form my idea turned into. Better than that, the cake just so happens to be vegan! I am not vegan, but lately I cannot get enough of coconut recipes that just so happen to be vegan (like these no bake coconut date energy bites…I’ve made them 3 times over the past month!)
The cake is subtly sweet with lemon and coconut hints of flavor, and then the sweet frosting and toasted coconut on top tie it all together. The toasting of the coconut flakes really brings out the warm coconut flavor that you want on the top of the cake.
Topping the cake with lemon slices not only looks beautiful and decorative, but as the lemons sit on top of the cake they add a little lemon flavor to the frosting that gives it an extra zip!
All around, this cake is super flavorful and reminiscent of warmer days and will bring brightness into your day!
Vegan Toasted Coconut and Lemon Cake
- For the cake:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- zest of a whole lemon
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut divided
- For the frosting:
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 lemon thinly sliced for top of cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a springform pan bottom with parchment paper and then grease the pan with coconut oil.
- In a bowl start by mixing all the 'wet' ingredients (coconut oil, coconut milk, vinegar, lemon juice, vanilla extract) with a hand or stand mixer.
- To the mixing bowl add the sugar and beat again. Then mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix again, then add in lemon zest and 1/4 cup shredded coconut and mix.
- Spoon into springform pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting it.
- While the cake is cooling, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and add remaining shredded coconut to the baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To make the frosting cream together coconut oil and milk, then add in vanilla extract, and slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until it is a smooth and thick frosting consistency.
- Spread frosting on the top of the cake, then sprinkle toasted coconut around the edge of the cake, and layer thinly sliced lemons in the top center of the cake.
This cake was made as part of my contributorship on the Rachel Cook’s blog