Happy Meatless Monday – this vegetarian sheet pan dinner of a Mexican kale salad is going to be your new favorite super easy dinner to prepare.
Ok, so oh my gah on this vegetarian dinner, it is so delicious! I had zero intentions of sharing the recipe as a post-I was just making dinner after a busy day at work. I literally came home and opened my freezer and thought “hmmm…what can I make for dinner with things I have?”
I saw a bag of frozen kale and a bag of Mexican blend frozen corn and peppers, then opened my pantry and found a can of black beans and a lone ripe avocado on the counter. I love to stock frozen veggies because at least once or twice during the week I’ll draw a blank on what I want to make for dinner and just stand with my freezer door open, staring to see what I have and wait for inspiration to strike. I was thinking I was going to make something Mexican themed and literally just put ingredients on a sheet pan and went from there. While the vegetables cooked, I decided to make a green avocado sauce to go with the vegetables and used some fresh cilantro from my garden (yay to summertime herb gardens – mine is small but I love being able to walk outside and pick fresh herbs to use.)
The meal came together so much better than I could have hopped for. It was so delicious, and I added some tortilla chips which added a nice little crunch. It was a bowl of deliciousness and I loved how easy it was to make.
So of course I made it a again, and then again, and finally was like ok, I need to share this recipe- it’s an awesome sheet pan dinner (or do you say sheet pan supper?) and is great for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. It’s super flavorful and sooo good!
This recipe makes two big salad bowls, or four small ones if you’re eating something else on the side.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 Ingredient Vegan Vegetarian Meatballs
- Vegetarian Japanese Pan Noodles
- 5 Ingredient Spinach Hummus Feta Wraps
Vegetarian Sheet Pan Dinner (Mexican Kale Salad)
- For the salad
- 4 cups frozen kale I used blue curled kale
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican frozen corn blend with peppers
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- For the dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of cumin
- For salad toppings
- 1/2 avocado
- 10-20 to rtilla chips optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place kale, corn blend with peppers, and black beans on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle cumin, paprika, cayenne and salt on top of vegetables. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce - in a food processor combine avocado, cilantro, lime juice, yogurt, water, salt, chili powder and cumin and pulsate until smooth (about 20 seconds), transfer into a bowl.
- To assemble the salad put 1/2 contents of the sheet pan into a bowl, top with 1/2 of the remaining avocado (1/4 of an avocado) and tortilla chips. Spoon dressing on and enjoy!