I always love hearing what dinner time is like in other peoples’ households and what their go to meals are (as always, I’d love to hear from you-what is your go to meal?) So when I was asking my friend Laura about what meal time is like for her busy family it got me thinking about what my go to meal is. After thinking for only a few seconds I knew the answer…these Yogurt Marinated Chicken Pitas (I make them ALL-THE-TIME). The yogurt marinade really tenderizes the chicken and the red onions add tons of flavor when baked, combined with all the other components make this one delicious filled pita!
While the chicken is marinating I prep all the other components and then as soon as I take the chicken out of the oven I assemble and then serve the pitas! Another thing I like to do with these chicken pitas is if I don’t have time to marinate and bake the chicken – I’ll pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and then spread some yogurt on the pita and add all the other components you see here (feta, spinach, cucumbers) and that way the I have a nutritious and delicious meal on the table in 5 minutes!
- For the Chicken:
- 1.5 lbs Chicken Tenders or cut up chicken breasts
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced
- 1 Container 5.3 oz Chobani Greek Yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Red Vinegar
- 1 Tsp True Botanica True Life Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- For the Cucumbers:
- 1 Large cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs Red Vinegar
- 1 tsp True Life Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Dill
- Other Pita Components:
- 1 cup baby Spinach leaves
- 1 cup Crumbled Feta
- Wheat Pita pocket halves
- For the chicken: combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic cloves, olive oil, vinegar, true life sea salt, thyme and whisk it until it is all combined. Add the chicken tenders and red onions, stir up the contents so everything is covered with the marinade. Let marinate for 15 min (or you can do this and let marinate overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and then place a wire cooling wrack on top of the aluminum foil. Take the chicken and red onions out of the marinade and place on the rack. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking prep the cucumbers by slicing the cumbers and then adding the vinegar and spices and set aside.
- To assemble put one - two chicken tenders in the pita, a few pieces of cucumber slices, a few leaves of spinach and a spoonful of feta cheese and enjoy!