This zucchini banana nutella swirl loaf is the perfect veggie and fruit packed loaf that everyone is sure to love!
Everyone needs a good zucchini loaf recipe to turn to when zucchini season is in full swing, and this combination with bananas and a nutella swirl is mine! It is naturally sweetened (meaning no sugar is added and the sweetness comes from the ingredients used) and is even better the next day or even a few days later, because the sweetness really develops over time from the bananas. And because it is naturally sweetened one can have an extra piece, right? You’ll be craving this for breakfast, snacks, dessert…it’s sheer deliciousness without the guilt, because hey-there’s fruit and veggies in it!
Even though zucchini season is usually mid summer (at least that’s what it is here in Wisconsin) it was a late start to the season and at the farmers market they are still selling buckets of zucchini for super cheap, so I’m all about incorporating them into recipes. And while zucchini is amazing to use in savory dishes (like this zucchini turkey lasagna or as a pizza topping) I recently discovered how much I truly LOVE zucchini in sweet dishes. It started when I made Monique from Ambitious Kitchen’s recipe for skinny zucchini banana chocolate chip muffins, I fell in love with those muffins.
The subtle sweetness, the way they’re super moist, the fact that they’re delicious and at the same time that they’re on the healthy side – just everything about them! So after making them something like five times, I tweaked the recipe slightly by adding nutella and turning it into a loaf and oh my goodness, same deliciousness but in loaf form!
You know how there are just those people you meet and instantly like? Monique was definitely one of those people for me. After meeting her at the ChiTown Retreat earlier this year I was drawn to her blog and wealth of information on nutritious ingredients in health recipes that actually taste good! I got to try her chocolate chip coconut flour pumpkin bars that she was recipe testing and I could literally not stop eating them, so it’s no wonder that this zucchini banana nutella swirl loaf, an adaptation of one of her recipes, came out so good!
If you’re in the mood for a sweet treat that is on the healthier side, look no further than this loaf! Another aspect of this recipe that I love is that freezes really well, so if you have a few extra pieces just wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze, then you can enjoy them at a later time!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium bananas ripe, mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce optional
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup 4 oz. semi-sweet bakers chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup nutella
- Preheat oven to 375, spray a loaf pan (9" X 5") with cooking spray and set aside.
- Start by shredding the zucchini, I just leave the skin on, but if you prefer not to see any green flecks feel free to peel it. Let the shredded zucchini sit in a bowl for 10-20 minutes, then squeeze it and drain the liquid off, press three sheets of paper towel on top of the shredded zucchini to get additional moisture out.
- To the shredded zucchini add the mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, egg, and apple sauce (if using) and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon, stir, then add to the dry ingredients to the zucchini/wet mixture and stir until combined.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the bakers chocolate (or chocolate chips), I do this by microwaving in 30 second intervals and stirring between intervals, mine usually takes 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir in nutella.
- Pour zucchini batter into the prepared baking dish, then take the chocolate-nutella mixture and pour it on top of the batter and use a spatula to swirl it around.
- Bake for 50 minutes, then turn heat off (don't open the oven) and let the loaf sit in the oven for 20 minutes. Then remove, and allow to cool, slice and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram or Facebook with #sweetphiblog or email me at email@example.com, I always love featuring your pictures on my Reader Recreations page!