With zucchini season coming up, I thought it would be the perfect time to share this delicious zucchini cheddar bread recipe. This is the best savory zucchini bread recipe you will be making on repeat and comes from Carla Hall’s Soul Food: Everyday and Celebration.
Whenever I grow zucchinis in the garden, I feel like I always end up with a plethora of extra, so I’m always coming up with different ways to use them, if you’ve grown zucchini you know they take over a garden!!
I have never before wanted to make so many recipes from one single cookbook! This week, I physically bought stuff to make four recipes! I remade this zucchini cheddar bread (for the 3rd time! and made some brown sugar chicken thighs and have cornbread and other recipes on my menu – I swear, every page is marked with a post-it!)
As far as zucchini bread goes, I generally make sweet zucchini bread/loaves, like this zucchini banana Nutella swirl loaf but this savory zucchini bread is the best zucchini bread I’ve ever had. The crumb was perfect! Just look at the pictures!
Best thing about this recipe? It was the perfect zucchini recipe for kids! All three of my kids loved the zucchini bread:
It has a little bit of heat and that comes from a touch of cayenne in the recipe (which is optional). For me, it’s the perfect amount of kick, but leave it out if you prefer a milder version.
Not that I would expect anything less, by Carla Hall (I have loved her since I first saw her cooking on Top Chef) this recipe is perfection. I followed it exactly and the bread just cooked beautifully. I mean, look at that golden brown exterior!
I have been loving cooking through this cookbook and cannot wait to try many more recipes and discover new flavors! When you’re looking for a savory zucchini recipe, try this zucchini cheddar bread and it will become your new fave new go-to for recipes using zucchini!
Zucchini Cheddar Bread
- 2 cups grated zucchini (1 medium-large zucchini)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 Tbs scallion/green onion chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I used 3/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter (or use cooking spray) a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and butter the parchment.
- Gently squeeze the zucchini between paper towels to remove excess liquid. Whisk both flours, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, cheese, and scallion and toss until evenly coated and separated.
- Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and oil in another large bowl until blended. It's okay if the liquid looks a little broken. Add the flour mixture, and fold until evenly moistened. Pour into the prepared pan. Spread evenly and sprinkle a little cheese on top.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out of the pan and cool completely on the rack.