This is the best zucchini cheddar bread recipe you will be making on repeat and it comes from Carla Hall’s Soul Food: Everyday and Celebration. This is our favorite savory zucchini bread and it’ll quickly become yours too!
Everyone we know that grows zucchinis ends up with plenty of extra, so we’re always on the lookout for different ways to use them. Typically, we lean toward a sweeter version, like this zucchini banana Nutella swirl loaf but trying a savory option did not disappoint.
This savory zucchini bread is the best zucchini bread; the crumb was perfect! Just look at the pictures!
If you’ve followed Phi for awhile, you know that she loves reading cookbooks and finding all sorts of new recipes to experiment with. You can see some of her favorite cookbooks in this post.
Carla Hall’s Soul Food: Everyday and Celebration is right up at the top of favorites. Brown sugar chicken thighs, cornbread and, of course, this zucchini cheddar bread.
What is the best part of this zucchini cheddar bread?
- It’s easily the kick of heat! The heat comes from just a touch of cayenne in the recipe (which is optional) but we’d say, it’s the perfect amount of kick! Of course, if you prefer more mild, leave the cayenne out.
Not that we would expect anything less, by Carla Hall (she’s been amazing sine we first saw her cooking on Top Chef) this recipe is perfection. Follow the recipe exactly and the bread just cooked beautifully. Look at that golden brown exterior!
When you’re looking for a savory zucchini recipe, try this zucchini cheddar bread and it will become your new fave new go-to for recipes using zucchini!
Zucchini Cheddar Bread
- 2 cups grated zucchini (1 medium-large zucchini)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 Tbs scallion/green onion chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I used 3/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter (or use cooking spray) a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and butter the parchment.
- Gently squeeze the zucchini between paper towels to remove excess liquid. Whisk both flours, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, cheese, and scallion and toss until evenly coated and separated.
- Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and oil in another large bowl until blended. It's okay if the liquid looks a little broken. Add the flour mixture, and fold until evenly moistened. Pour into the prepared pan. Spread evenly and sprinkle a little cheese on top.
- Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out of the pan and cool completely on the rack.
[…] visited blog post: zucchini cheddar bread from Carla Hall’s […]