Zucchini recipes are all the rage right now since it is the height of zucchini season, and not wanting to feel left out, I have two spectacular recipes for you guys this week. Today’s’ recipe for zucchini lasagna which is a truly delicious and super healthy take on a classic, and then tomorrow I’ll share peanut butter chocolate chip zucchini cookies bars…both recipes taste aaaaamazing, both recipes use beautiful zucchini, AND both recipes are naturally gluten free!
At the farmers market they were practically giving zucchini away (I got a huge bag full…for a dollar!) so I was in desperate need of making a dish featuring zucchini.
To be honest, even though I have heard and seen tons of recipes using zucchini as noodles in beautiful spiraly shapes, and even though I own a spiralizer (I’ve never used it for zucchini noodles because it is in a cabinet somewhere that I’m not sure I can reach without assistance…yes, I know, my laziness kicking in…I even have a step stool for petes sake!) I didn’t feel like putting in all the effort to make pretty spirals but wanted to use them in place of noodles. Enter lasagna!
Since lasagna gets baked, the zucchini as noodles don’t have to be cut super thin and it works out perfectly!
I was so excited how it came out, I gave my husband a slice for lunch and eagerly asked him, ‘WHAT DID YOU THINK?’
His response was ‘if you blindfolded me and gave me a piece of this and a piece of traditional lasagna with noodles’ … I immediately shrieked ‘OMG REALLY?!’ And then he finished the sentence, lol ‘I would be able to tell it wasn’t noodles, but it was really REALLY good and I definitely want another piece.’
So there you have it folks, a delicious healthy take on lasagna.
Have you ever cooked with zucchini instead of noodles?
- 4 Medium-Large Zucchini, sliced lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 Cups Kale, cut into large pieces
- 2 Cups Mozzarella, shredded, low moisture, part skim
- 2 Cups Marinara sauce
- 1½ Cups Ricotta Cheese, low moisture, part skim
- 1 egg
- 1 lb Ground turkey, extra lean
- ½ Cup Parmesan, shredded
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tsp each garlic salt, onion salt,
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a pan cook ground turkey, 1 tsp salt, garlic salt, onion salt, and pepper until turkey is cooked through, set aside.
- In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, and remaining salt, stir until well combined, set aside.
- Lay a layer of sliced zucchini on bottom of pan. Then lay a layer of kale on top of zucchini.
- Next spoon the ground turkey on top of the kale. Then spread the ricotta mixture.
- Spoon half the marinara sauce over the ricotta, and sprinkle half the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Lay another layer of kale down, then a layer of zucchini slices.
- Pour remaining marinara sauce over the zucchini slices and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until cheese is melted and lasagna is bubbling. Allow to cool for 15 min or overnight (it is better the next day after everything 'sets' and then microwaved). Slice into 8 slices and serve.
- Note: If you enjoy it right away, there may be a bit of liquid at the bottom of the dish. I simply pour it off, or let it sit and set before serving - this dish makes for great leftovers!
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!