When zucchini season hits, there is always produce abound and we’re looking for ways to use up all of the harvest. This zucchini and kale lasagna is a great healthy option and spin on a classic dish.
We love cooking with zucchini and have quite a few recipes to use it in, but finding something comforting and still healthy is always a win. Typically, if we’re looking to make a comforting dish with zucchini, we bet your mind goes to Zoodles (zucchini noodles). And yes, you could bust out a spiralizer and make some beautiful spiral noodles but we thought it would be fun to do something different – and a bit easier!
Enter lasagna! Since lasagna gets baked, the zucchini as noodles don’t have to be cut super thin and it works out perfectly. Simply use your zucchini slices as if they were noodles and lay them flat in the baking dish.
In addition to using two power vegetables – kale and lasagna – the recipe includes ground turkey, instead of ground beef. Another layer of healthy deliciousness!
What ingredients do you need for this healthy lasagna?
- Ground turkey
- Garlic salt
- Onion salt
- Ricotta cheese
- Marinara sauce
If you have a ton of zucchini to use, here are a few more great recipes to try:
- Zucchini Cheddar Bread
- Zucchini waffles
- Zucchini au gratin
- Chickpea and Zucchini Veggie Burgers
- Zucchini Banana Nutella Swirl Loaf
- A whole roundup of ideas!
Zucchini and Kale Lasagna
- 1 lb Ground turkey extra lean
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Ricotta Cheese low moisture, part skim
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan shredded
- 4 Zucchini Medium-Large , sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 cups Mozzarella shredded, low moisture, part skim
- 2 cups Marinara sauce
- 2 cups Kale cut into large pieces
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a pan cook ground turkey, 1 tsp salt, garlic salt, onion salt, and pepper until turkey is cooked through, set aside.
- In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, and remaining salt, stir until well combined, set aside.
- Lay a layer of sliced zucchini on bottom of pan. Then lay a layer of kale on top of zucchini.
- Next spoon the ground turkey on top of the kale. Then spread the ricotta mixture.
- Spoon half the marinara sauce over the ricotta, and sprinkle half the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Lay another layer of kale down, then a layer of zucchini slices.
- Pour remaining marinara sauce over the zucchini slices and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until cheese is melted and lasagna is bubbling. Allow to cool for 15 min or overnight (it is better the next day after everything 'sets' and then microwaved). Slice into 8 slices and serve.
- Note: If you enjoy it right away, there may be a bit of liquid at the bottom of the dish. I simply pour it off, or let it sit and set before serving - this dish makes for great leftovers!