Wow – I really started the year off with a lot of books. I had been jotting down titles of books I read and realized at the end of the month it was more than expected so I thought I’d share! I had a little extra reading time because of holiday break tail end at the beginning of January and the kids started dance and soccer again and so there’s a lot of waiting time for that and I’ll read or listen to a book. Oh, and holds came available from Libby (free library app!). Nick says audiobooks are cheating but I don’t think so, I love hearing books (and I listen at 1.25 speed now- just discovered you could speed it up and it’s helped, lol!)
The No Show – 5 stars!
- I loved this book so so much. It was the favorite book I read all month, maybe in a few months. – took me way too long to understand what was happening, and then the twists!! The cherry picker scene, whoa I felt like I was there and felt the tension and it was so well written! 5 stars!
Nora Goes Off Script – 4.75 stars
- Liked that the characters were my age (late 30s) because so often it’s an early 20s character and is a little unrelatable. The story was sweet and almost seemed realistic which I loved for a romance. Definitely worth a read.
Lessons in Chemistry – 4.75 stars (almost gave this 5 stars)!
- There’s a reason this book has shown up on so many ‘best of’ lists. It’s really well written and a unique beautiful story. I almost gave it 5 stars, but I felt that it was a little too neat wrapped up in a bow at the end? Still one of my fave books I read this month and it’s definitely not just a light romance, there’s some heavy stuff in here and so well done. I can totally see this one becoming a movie.
Before I Let Go– 3 stars
- Some very steamy parts but I thought a lot of it was redundant, like the story didn’t go anywhere and kept repeating itself over and over and you just knew what was going to happen.
Meant To Be -4 stars
- This was a very classic chick lit book. The story was loosely like JFK Jr. and Carolyn’s stories. Very rom-comey, just wished for a little more spice.
In The Weeds – 3.5 stars
- A romancey book, slow burn-ish even though it starts off hot. It was good. But a little meh-ish and some parts I just wanted to roll my eyes because it seemed so over the top non realistic.
It’s What I Do – 4.75 stars
- A gripping memoir about a war photographer. Parts were really raw and tough to read as a mother. Very hard. But it was incredible to read about someone’s life and their calling and line of work.
Did you read anything good this month? I’d love to hear in the comments below!