In this month’s edition of Catching Up With The Kelnhofers we’re talking about back to school and the start of fun fall activities.
Start of school
- This year it was true back to school mode at our house. Ben entered 1st grade and the twins entered an all day 4K program!
- A tradition we do is called a Schultüte (school cone) which is a cone filled with small treats, so we made the 3 school aged kids cones which they got to open on their first day.
- The kids all love these protein bites
- With the older kids in school all day, that means 2 days a week I have just Sam and mom days where we get to do fun things like go down by the lake a take a long walk and then check out new cafes and coffee shops. A latte for me, a cookie for Sam lol.
- Can we talk about how glorious Frankie’s school photo is lol? Definitely going to frame it, and Freddie looks like such a cute little ham
- We found a new ice cream place called Lee’s Dairy Treat and the kids loved it!
Soccer Tournament + Restaurant
- Ben had a soccer tournament near Chicago so we went and made it a special overnight for him. We also happened to eat at a Rick Bayless restaurant called Xoco and it was SOOOOO GOOD!!
- We got out our Halloween decorations and books. This year I bought some bats and they’re the best purchase ever, the kids have loved putting them up around the house and Sam now says ‘BAT’ and points to them!!
Japanese grocery store
- In the suburbs of Chicago we discovered this Japanese grocery store. It’s amazing. It has a grocery store but then also has a food court area where one can get all sorts of food and drinks (bubble teas).
Scooters + parks
- It’s funny, even with new parks the kids gravitate toward the single old school metal slide!
- Sam is learning how to ride a scooter, isn’t he just the cutest?
- I went to Home Depot with Freddie and Frankie to get some Halloween decorations. Frankie got so scared she held this box in front of her face. Meanwhile, Freddie was loving it and pressing all the ‘press here’ buttons to get the decorations to light up and make sounds lol.
Hope you have a great month!