I am always turning to Google to find DIY Halloween costumes…especially at the last minute. I know I’m not the only one out there who does this, so I wanted to share a cheap family Halloween costume DIY, also, a Halloween costume with a mask!
Last year we were going to be a family of ghosts. Great, simple enough, right? Well, two hours before we left to Trick or Treat, Ben decided he wanted to be a family of birds instead. Not wanting to disappoint, we got to work!
This costume is super simple to make and was actually perfect for 2020-2021 because the costume includes a mask. Plus, it cost zero dollars! Or, if you don’t happen to have an old sheet or tablecloth, you may end up spending just a couple of dollars at a local thrift store or a store like Wal-Mart to buy a plain white table cloth or bedsheet.
How do I make a cheap bird costume?
- Get an old tablecloth or bed sheet and cut a hole for your head
- Cut some “fringe” on the bottom for feathers/wings
- Draw on it with markers to make “feather shapes” – this is a fun way to get the kids involved
- Tape construction paper onto a face mask for a beak and you’re all set!
I always giggle a little when I see “easy” DIY costumes and they end up needing like 20 materials and require 30 steps, a sewing machine and some magic to complete. Ha, ya know. This costume is totally do-able and so fun!
Our costumes turned out hilariously bad, but they cost us nothing and we had so much fun making them. And it’s a great Halloween activity to involve all of the kids in.
And, after a fun time Trick-or-Treating, treat yourself to these two fun Halloween cookies:
- Frankenstein cookies – let the kids decorate and see what they come up with
- Trashed up shortbread cookies – use any extra Halloween candy to make these
So, next time you’re looking for a cheap family Halloween costume DIY, look no further than a family full of birds!