After having my kids, my skin changed. It went from oily to extremely dry to now a normal(ish) combination skin. I have gone through more products than I care to admit trying to find the best products for normal skin, and so today I’m so happy to share my night skin care routine and products I use!
Two years ago, my skin was super super dry – so very dry that it would crack and I’d have rough patches. I shared my skin care routine and products for very dry skin). While I still use and love several of those products (for example this moisturizer is still the best night time moisturizer ever) some of them were a little more expensive than I would have liked, and I’ve tried to transition to more clean beauty products and found the best cleanser ever (that actually removes makeup gently and is amazing). I’m trying to use up all of the products I have and then start with new, cleaner/more natural beauty products.
A lot of times, when I post in my Instagram stories, I get questions about my skincare routine or my makeup and what my evening routines look like. So, I thought I’d share my night skin care routine with you!
Here is my 5 step Nighttime Skin Care Routine:
- Toner/makeup remover
- Under eye care
- Moisturize (or oil)
Check out my notes below for details on each step.
- My favorite cleaners is the Drunk Elephant Jelly Cleanser. This cleanser is my favorite because it does a great job at removing almost all of my makeup without having to use any other makeup removers! I have a friend that simply uses old school cold cream to get her makeup off so that’s an option too!
- This has become one of the cornerstones in my routine and I recommend this cleanser to everyone. It is very gentle feeling and effective. It doesn’t really have a ‘scent’ which I like. It works but it’s not abrasive.
- After washing my face, I will use some Almay non-oily makeup removal pads for any lasting bits of eye makeup. Then, I use an Caudalie toner to strengthen my skin before the rest of my routine. To apply this, I use Shiseido cotton wipes. It sounds so silly to have special cotton wipes, but they’re so soft and amazing and are totally worth it!
- I love serums because they hydrate and strengthen the skin and reduce fine lines and dark spots. I waiver back and forth between two different serums; this Caudalie serum (pore minimizing) or the Shiseido serum (hydrates strengthens and firms) that I’ve been using for awhile.
- The Shiseido serum is a great all-around option. It has probiotics, vitamins and enzymes. Generally, it makes my skin feel tighter and more firm.
UNDER EYE CARE
- After my serum dries, I apply an under eye cream. I am using this Aveda one that’s very calming as well as this Caudalie Vitamin C eye cream one, if I had to choose between the two I’d recommend the Caudalie one.
- A friend gave me this Lancome eye illuminator serum, it has this cool metal wand so it’s cooling when it’s applied and I like it too!
MOISTURIZE (OR OIL)
- The last step in my routine is a moisturizer. On every 2nd or 3rd night, I apply an oil instead of a moisturizer. The oil makes my skin feel dewy and nourished in the morning, which is so lovely.
- There are really there different options here; a very expensive option (La Mer -the renewal oil-let me warn you ahead of time for the sticker price, there’s a mini version that’s still $145, I got the mini one as a gift), a mid-range (Caudalie -overnight detox oil- so calming and clean smelling – I love this one, it’s $50) and a super affordable one (The Ordinary – rose hip seed oil – works great and is under $10). I also like another mid-range one by Drunk Elephant.
- For the moisturizer, I love the Shishido essential energy moisturizing cream.
Like I mentioned above, I am trying to use more clean beauty products. That is why Caudalie is one of my favorite brands, their scents are clean and delicate and I love how their products work! Another good option is Tula. For me, their product scents are a bit too strong and flowery.
Something I’ve enjoyed is getting sample size kits Caudalie (favorites or skin perfecting), Tula (best sellers) or Drunk Elephant (the littles or rise+glow). That way I can try out the products and see if I like certain ones!
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my night time skin care routine. I’d love to hear from you in the comments below, do you have a favorite skin care product or brand?