My fiance made a comment about Blueberry Pie sounding good, so when he went to his friends’ house I quickly went to the grocery store to buy some blueberries. While I was there they had gingersnaps on sale and I thought those would go perfectly in the crust-thus I ended up with a Blueberry Pie with Gingersnap Crust. It was the perfect flavor combo!
- Gingersnap Pie Crust:
- 1 3/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Gingersnaps 15-18 thin cookies
- 1/2 Cup Smart Balance Buttery Spread
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4-6 Tbs Ice Water
- Pie Filling:
- 4 trays blueberries ~3 full cups
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/3-3/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBS fresh squeezed lemon juice
- For the Gingersnap Pie Crust: In a food processor grind up the gingersnap cookies, when they are a fine crumbly consistency add the flour, salt, and smart balance. Pulse until it forms a thick ball, then slowly add the ice water. Form dough into two discs, one larger than the other, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425. In a bowl combine the corn starch, sugar and salt. Add the lemon juice and cleaned blueberries.
- When pie crust is done in the freezer, place on lightly floured surface and roll out into circle. Spray pie pan with cooking spray and then place the larger of the discs which has been rolled out into the pie pan. Fill with the filling, then place the second rolled out disc on top, pinching the sides together (if the sides aren't completely pinched together it will leak-like mine did a little). With a knife cut four slits at the middle center. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 425, then reduce oven heat to 375 and bake for another 40 minutes.