This chocolate fig tart is both gluten free and vegan, and is the perfect delicious and sophisticated dessert that everyone can enjoy!
So, I have a pressing question for you…have you ever been able to purchase fresh figs?
If so….1-I am jealous 2-please share where you got them and 3-I am extremely jealous!
Fresh figs have eluded me for YEARS! Every time I think they’re supposed to be in season (late summer/early fall?) I’ll be on the lookout for them, but have never been able to actually find fresh ones (at one point I think I called 6 different grocery stores when someone mentioned to me in passing they had seen figs!)
The last time I (or I should really say- the one and only time) was able to find fresh figs was when my friend Charlotte (congrats to her-she’s getting married next year and is my awesome photog friend from NC) and I were at a farmers market in Raleigh when it pouring rain, right before I flew home from my bachelorette party (pic from that glorious day here – August 5, 2012). In the craziness of the rain and excitement, I spotted figs and purchased them to fly home with (I feel like I should get a special pass for security going between Raleigh and Milwaukee, in 2012 in was figs, last Christmas I made my hubby carry a backpack full of cheese for this same friend in NC… I sense a pattern lol).
So, when I actually spotted fresh figs at Fresh Market, I bought the one and only carton they had, did a little happy dance, and definitely was ‘that girl’ calling my husband and loudly proclaiming ‘I FOUND FRESH FIGS!!!! OMG OMG OMG I’M SO EXCITED’
And since I want everyone to enjoy figs and chocolate, I made this recipe both gluten free and vegan!
The crust of this tart is made with delicious walnuts giving it a nice nutty flavor, and then the chocolate is fudgey and gooey and is topped off with the subtle, yet sweet fig fruit. Makes for delicious bite after bite!
Oh elusive figs, how I love thee!
- -For the crust-
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- ¼ Cup Gluten Free Flour (I use King Arthur Flour brand)
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil
- -For the tart filling-
- 1 Cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ Cup Light Corn Syrup
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbs Coconut Oil, melted
- 3 Tbs Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6-8 oz Fresh Figs, quartered
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a tart pan with cooking spray (I have a removable bottom tart pan).
- To make the tart crust put all ingredients in a food processor. and process until they come together in a crumbly mixture (it's ok if there are some walnut chucks left). Pour the contents into the tart pan and press into the bottom and up the sides to form the tart crust.
- Next make the tart filling. In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals stirring in between. When the chocolate has melted (mine usually takes two minutes in the microwave). Next pour the brown sugar into the chocolate and stir to incorporate, then next spray a measuring up with cooking spray and then pour the corn syrup into it (this way it won't stick to the measuring cup). Then pour the corn syrup into the chocolate mixture, then stir, then pour the coconut oil and the gluten free flour and vanilla into the batter and stir so that everything is incorporated. Then pour the batter into crust, then lay pieces of fresh figs around the border of the tart and bake the tart for 30-40 minutes, until it is bubbly. Remove from oven and let it cool completely (it will form a sticky-fudgey consistency when it cools). Slice and enjoy!
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!