I’m pretty sure I have the best husband in the world. For my “push present” (if you’ve never heard of this, I had never heard of it until I had kids, it’s a present one gets for -quite literally- pushing out a baby, lol) for baby 4, he surprised me with a night away at a hotel…without kids. For fun I jotted down how I spent my night away, and took some pictures – as someone who has over forty thousand (no joke) photos on my phone and being a blogger, it’s what I do for fun.
The first night we brought our 4th kid home from the hospital, our 4 year old (Ben) woke us up more through the night than our newborn! With twins, a toddler and a newborn, a full nights’ sleep? What even is that? Our bedroom door sticks, so when Ben comes in the wood creeping sound alone jolts me awake. I wake with the sound of my kids’ rolling over in bed, I don’t need a monitor to alert me to a sound, although one sits on my husbands’ nightstand, and one on mine (gotta make sure the twins haven’t climbed out of their cribs!).
At our old house we had a bedroom in the basement I could escape to. In our current house, my husband uses one of the bedrooms as an office (which shares a wall with the kids bedroom where one kid likes to tap his feet through and crib though) and there’s tons of windows and an unfinished basement, not so exactly somewhere I want to lay down my head.
And and and, all this to say, when my husband said “I’ve booked you an overnight at a hotel and a spa appointment” 😱😭 I teared up. My husband said the one thing I had to do was just relax and try to get a sleep (and really try to relax). So here’s how I spent my time:
- I was greeted with a cocktail at check-in!
- Ordered room service, food my kids would not touch (steak, rare, with greens and wings!)
- Watched TV shows (Billions!) and listened to music – no Encanto blaring in the background lol.
- Journaled and wrote some notes on big dreams – I try to journal a few minutes each morning, but that usually gets interrupted by kids and they doddle on the pages
- Opened my computer and tried to catch up on emails, then realized that wasn’t relaxing so I stopped (I have over 500 non-junk emails, oh well!)
- Painted my nails and had a long (uninterrupted) bath with a bath bomb I had brought!
- Slept – kind of – I still woke up a bunch of times because hotel sounds and my body is probably used to waking up.
- Enjoyed a massage – lol at the before + after, the masseuse didn’t say anything!
About an hour in, I really missed the kids and Nick. I was kind of bored to be honest, but it was really nice to just not have to do anything kid or cleanup after someone related for a night…and quiet!!
I left Friday evening and came back Saturday before lunch. It wasn’t even a full 24 hours, but let me tell you, I came home super refreshed, recharged and full of gratitude. To all the men out there, or persons wanting to give the special mom in your life a gift, I highly highly highly recommend checking their schedule and then just booking them a night away!!