It’s my 9 year business anniversary! I feel like it was just yesterday I shared my 8 year blogging anniversary post. Then I blinked and another year passed (and I’m sure we can all agree – what a crazy year it’s been)! It is with an incredible feeling of gratitude, joy, happiness and thanks that I share this 9 year business anniversary post. Thank YOU for inspiring me and supporting this small business dream of mine and welcoming me into your kitchens and life as I share from mine.
Sometimes when one is in the thick of things – working working working – it’s hard to see all the small things and changes that are all really incredible, as they are happening. I thought I’d share some moments from the past year that have really stood out in terms of the blog business:
- Planned out content for the entire year – that plan went out the window come March as the pandemic hit, because, at that time, no one was having get-togethers. My recipe ideas for picnics or large get togethers took a back burner for more practical in-the-moment-at-home things! But the practice of planning ahead – far ahead – has helped me stay focused to this day, because I know what I’ll be sharing next week and the week after that! I now use this 4 month planner (dry erase kind lol).
- Reader recreations page – I love seeing what you are cooking!! I now have a cool reader recreation page that shows all of your creations so you can see what others are making.
- I am so appreciative of the feedback of amazing readers. I’ve received thousands of comments and now have star ratings on recipes. These ratings help others find the recipes by making them rank in search engines (so if you google a recipe mine, it will have a better chance of showing up if it has some star ratings). And just in general, I’m always in awe of my readers and the amazing feedback they share while making recipes.
- It takes a small village, I shared the ‘meet the SweetPhi team‘ and I’m continually so inspired and happy to work with such amazing people. I love the different styles we all have too – and every week in Love Lists there’s a section of Bridget & Alyssa finds! I also work with other people who are not mentioned but that have a big impact special projects (thank you!!!)
- Changed my photography set up and now use a mix of natural light and artificial light depending on the project (you can see some of my artificial light food photography in my apple cake with browned butter frosting, Cuban sliders, and apple cider mules cocktail posts) and I’m not going to lie – I’m just loving the look and the flexibility it gives me so that I can shoot something in the evening as opposed to waiting for the right time of day where the light was best, or having to reschedule working days around the weather. But, it’s a big learning curve for sure.
- Donated over $5000 to pandemic/injustice related causes through a matching donation campaign I did with readers.
- Store page – Right now, this is the closest I can get to having a storefront (one day I have dreams of having a studio/event/retail space!!) I love this feature, if you go to the menu bar, you’ll see a ‘store‘ menu item. Click on that and you can shop my favorite items, all grouped together in categories.
- Posted amazing content: recipes/videos/life posts
As with any small business, when you’re running a business your list and responsibilities are endless – here’s a peek at mine:
- content creation
- editorial direction
- recipe development
- recipe creation
- recipe testing
- photography + photo shoots -styling/editing
- social media
- web design
- brand collaborations
- project development (in my case cookbooks)
- audience engagement
- community building
- search engine optimization/communications
- updating -old photos/posts/website stuff
- education on all of the above
- …just to name a few
In case you’re under the impression it’s all sunshine and roses, please note that there is so much that goes on behind the scenes that I don’t think is relevant to this space, so it’s not shared (like when I spent 3 months working on a project that fell through, or those times I don’t get chosen to work on campaigns with brands, or dealing with mean commenters or declining blog traffic certain months – which means declining revenue – or when when there’s a huge technical issue completely beyond my control, and and and…). Long story short – it can be a lot, especially with kids around, interrupting all the time (like right now for example, as I work, one of my kids is sitting behind me playing with my photography prop napkins as I finish working). But, I truly love it so so much! I’m excited for many more years of SweetPhi.com and can’t wait to take you along on the journey.
Every comment, interaction, email, feedback, pageview from you means the world. As a small thank you, to celebrate, I’m going to be doing a pretty huge giveaway!! 9 winners will receive a $50 Amazon gift card AND get to choose an item from my 9 year anniversary faves list.
- To enter the blog giveaway: pick any blog post (besides this one) and leave a comment on that post. It could be leaving a comment on a recipe post telling me you’ve made that recipe or want to make it in the future, or it could be on a life post about babies or parenting sharing your own story, or on a love list post telling me something you’ve found through the lists you’ve loved…you get the idea!
- Then come back to this post and leave a comment telling me you’ve commented on another post, and voila, that’s it, you’ll be entered!
- US entrants only, winners will be chosen 11/5/2020 and notified via email.
*Please note – none of these giveaways are sponsored or affiliated with companies in any way, I’m just doing this giveaway because I am so grateful and appreciative of you and your support!!