Today I’m sharing a recipe for a super delicious banana caramel swirl cake which uses my all time favorite caramel from Fat Toad Farm
Mondays are always a little bit of a shock. An awakening from the lull of the weekend. A time to ‘get back into the swing of things.’
However, with this banana caramel swirl cake, the work week ahead is just that much sweeter (corny pun intended).
I never knew how much of a banana dessert fan my husband was until he not-so-subtly was raving about this dessert we had at a restaurant….I mean he went on and on telling me how much he loved banana desserts-well, the message was heard loud and clear: my husband loves banana desserts! Not the simple boring fruit by itself I was told, but anything involving bananas that is made into a dessert.
Armed with the new knowledge and bananas that were almost past their prime, I made a banana sour cream cake, and as I putting ingredients away in the fridge, I saw that I had an open jar of cinnamon caramel. Banana cake? Caramel? Yes, those two flavors would be absolutely perfect together! I drizzled caramel in a swirl around the cake batter, then baked it!
Absolute perfection came out of the oven! Smooth cake that is not too sweet and has a subtle banana flavor is complimented perfectly with the hint of cinnamon in the caramel, this cake is an absolute winner!
[Tweet “Banana caramel swirl cake from @sweetphi and a huge @fattoadfarmvt caramel #giveaway”]
It’s no secret that I’m a HUGE fan of caramel (these salted caramel chocolate chip cookies, these Mexican hot chocolate caramel cookies, these mini pumpkin muffins with sour cream and caramel frosting, this carrot cake with caramel spiced pecans…I could go on) and it’s not just any ‘ole caramel I love, it is Fat Toad Farm caramel.
Their caramel is hand made in small batches on their goat farm in Vermont, and ever since trying the caramel sauce as a sample at a market, I have been obsessed.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Since I want you to experience the deliciousness of the caramel, Fat Toad Farm and I are doing a huge giveaway! 3 winners will each receive 4 caramel sauces in different flavors! To enter simply comment and tell me your favorite way to enjoy caramel (don’t forget to fill out the widget letting me know you’ve entered! Winners randomly chosen June 7th).
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 2 ripe bananas about 1 cup mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream reduced fat
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cinnamon caramel sauce or regular caramel sauce and add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350, line the bottom of a spring form pan with parchment paper and then spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl microwave butter for 30 seconds to soften it a big.
- Remove from microwave and then add in mashed bananas (or mash in the bowl). Then add in eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract, and stir.
- Add the sugar to the bowl and stir, then add in flour, baking powder and baking soda and salt and stir to Incorporate. You don't want to over stir the batter, so just stir until everything is combined.
- Spoon into prepared spring form pan, and then spoon the caramel sauce around the cake batter creating a swirl. Place cake pan on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, then slice and enjoy!
This deliciousness is brought to you in partnership with Fat Toad Farm Caramel, thank you for supporting the brands that make the SweetPhi blog possible.