Last year, I made not a single pumpkin dessert recipes (gasp!) nor did I have a single pumpkin spiced beverage (even bigger GASP!) I’m not quite sure what was happening. It was almost as if I was waiting for these amazingly delicious – perfect for fall- mini pumpkin muffins with sour cream and caramel frosting.
With the cooling of air, change of the leaves, beautiful fall colors, one just craves something that embodies the fall flavors. So it was no surprise to me that a few cans of pumpkin puree made their way into my cart when I was grocery shopping.
And when I set out to make these smooth and silky yet perfectly spiced mini muffins I couldn’t image anything more perfect than to make them with the pumpkin puree! They’re perfect for both breakfast and dessert, served with a glass of milk or cup of coffee…YUM!
The best part? They’re super easy to make! Once you’ve baked the mini muffins (heads up, they’re SUPER GOOD by themselves) then you frost them and drizzle some caramel. The combination of the smooth pumpkin muffin, spices, creamy hint of frosting, finished off the caramel, make one enjoy bite after delicious bite!
These mini muffins are the perfect way to start the day, and even more perfect as a kickoff to a week full of fall inspired recipes I’ll be sharing (think caramel apples, Mexican hot chocolate caramel cookies, roasted chicken, and a spooktacular cake!)
Also, for the caramel sauce I used Fat Toad Farm caramel (remember the caramel I used to make the best ever Bourbon Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies?) The Fat Toad Farm caramel sauce is just simply the best I’ve ever had (you could certainly make your own caramel sauce) They have flavors like Cinnamon and Spicy Dark Chocolate that go perfectly with these mini muffins! And…part of this amazing week coming up includes a giveaway of their caramel sauce, so definitely stay tuned!
- -For the muffins-
- 1 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup sour cream
- 1 tbs butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- -For the frosting-
- 4 tbs butter at room temp
- 1/4 cup sour cream at room temp
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce for drizzle I used Fat Toad Farm caramel sauce-they have flavors like Cinnamon and Bourbon Salted Caramel, all their flavors go great with these mini muffins!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a mini muffin pan with liners.
- For the batter: In a bowl combine butter, egg, sour cream, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Add all remaining dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and salt). Stir a few times so that everything is combined...you don't want to over-stir it, otherwise the muffins will be dense.
- Using a tablespoon cookie scoop (or with a spoon) fill the mini muffin liners (the batter should go almost to the top, about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12 minutes, then allow to completely.
- For the frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream butter for about a minute, then add the powdered sugar, sour cream and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy (about 2 minutes.)
- Set down a piece of wax paper and transfer the cooled mini muffins on top of the paper. Then take about 1/2 tablespoon of frosting for each mini cupcake and spread it on the top, then drizzle with caramel sauce and enjoy!