I don’t remember what magazine it came out of, but I had a half torn, crumpled, recipe page that fell out of the back of one of my cookbooks for browned butter shortbread cookies. I decided I had to try this recipe and made some adaptations to them to make them Browned Butter Hazelnut Shortbread with Chocolate and Sea Salt…soooo yummy!
I ran out of Chocolate for the dipping, so I ended up drizzling the chocolate on the remaining pieces of shortbread I had.
- 1 1/4 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/3 Cup Hazelnuts, toasted (heaping 1/3 cup)
- 1/8 Cup Sugar plus 1 Tbs
- 1/8 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch salt
- For the topping:
- 4 oz Dark Chocolate Chips (semisweet), melted
- 1/2 tsp shortening
- 1 tsp Fleur de sel (sea salt)