I was watching the Food Network and just caught the end of an episode where they were showing a cannoli dip with homemade chips. It looked so good and I thought the idea was brilliant, so I found the recipe and made it! Sometimes recipes don’t turn out so well from the Food Network, but this one was spot-on, including the home made cannoli chips. It took me way longer than I’d like to admit to find the wonton wrappers in the store, here’s a hint: they were by the organic tofu in the produce section(probably took longer to find the wrappers than make the entire thing)! I added strawberries to the chips on the serving plate and it was a delicious addition, I think it would be ok with just the strawberries if you’re looking for a fruit dip or to make it Gluten Free.
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 package about 36 square wonton wrappers, cut diagonally in half
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pistachios coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries chopped
- 1/2 orange zested
- Fill a Dutch oven one-third full with oil and heat to 350 degrees F.
- Fry the wontons in one layer, not overcrowding the pot. Flip the wontons once or twice until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the wontons with tongs or a slotted spoon and drain on a large wire rack set over a shallow pan. Repeat until all the wontons are fried.
- Mix the ricotta, sugar and liqueur until well combined in a large bowl. Whip the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form, using a hand mixer. Fold the whipped cream and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips gently into the ricotta mixture.
- Add the ricotta-cream mixture to a medium dip bowl or 8-by-8-inch baking dish and spread evenly (I had enough to make two bowls of dip). Starting from the left side of bowl, make a row, from top to bottom, of pistachios, followed by a row of the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, then the cherries. Grate fresh orange zest over the bowl and plate the wonton chips on the side. Dust the chips with sugar and serve.
All the wonderful ingredients
Frying of the chips:
Making of the dip and display: