Before I moved to Wisconsin I lived in North Carolina for three years. Carolina has amazing barbecue, the true Carolina style barbecue is mustard based and is one of my favorite things, I loooove mustard, last November I posted this-at that time I had 7 different mustard’s in my fridge and that wasn’t even all of them! So I just had to try and make some at home, and let me tell you, I hit the nail on the head with this flavorful recipe.
- For the Pulled Chicken: 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1.5 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Small Onion diced
- 1 tsp each of salt pepper and thyme
- For the Sweet Potato Fries: 2-4 Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs each of Chili Powder and Thyme and salt
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- For the Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce: 1 Tbs Butter
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- For the pulled chicken: saute onion, garlic and olive oil in pan for about 5 minutes over high heat until some pieces are opaque or close to opaque and some have browned. Put chicken breasts, broth, salt, pepper, thyme and onion and garlic mixture into a crock pot. Put heat on high and let cook for 2.5 hrs. Pull apart for serving.
- For the Sweet Potato Fries: Preheat oven to 375. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into desired thickness. In a large bowl place cut sweet potatoes and cover with olive oil and seasonings, mix well. Place on foil or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20-40 minutes-depending on how thick you have cut your fries. They should be slightly golden brown on some sides and you should easily be able to poke a fork into them.
- For the Barbecue sauce: In a stick free pot melt the butter and add brown sugar, when the sugar begins to dissolve add the ketchup, mustard and vinegar, add seasonings and stir very well. When the mixture comes to a slow boil turn off heat and let sit until you are ready to serve.
- I served the dish with the chicken naked and the sauce and sweet potatoes on the side so one could dip the sweet potato fries and chicken into the sauce