Do you ever have just a little bit of left over Cherry Pie Filling and don’t know what to do with it? Well, these chewy, delicious Cherry Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies make the perfect use of the leftover filling. If you don’t have any leftover filling, not to worry, I made a small batch of filling to use for the cookies to know what proportions to tell you for this recipe, so just see the below recipe. The little dark chocolate notes along with the cherry and graham crackers make for an amazing cookie, and yet another great use of fresh cherries (like the bags of frozen Door County Cherries I have in my freezer).
- For cookie dough:
- 1 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 stick butter 4 TBS at room temp
- 1/2 stick vegetable shortening 8 Tbs
- 3 Tbs cream cheese I use 1/3 less fat cream cheese at room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup 60% Cacao bittersweet chocolate chips I use Ghiardelli brand, they're on the bigger side chips, so if using regular chips use 4 per cookie instead of 2
- 2 Low fat honey graham crackers smashed, or aprox 1/4 cup
- For the cherry filling:
- either 1 cup homemade cherry pie filling or below:
- 1 cup fresh cherries pitted and cleaned
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest and juice
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- To make the cherry filling: over medium heat combine all ingredients for the cherry filling, allow to come to a slow boil (about 5 minutes) then remove from heat and allow to cool (about 20 min).
- Preheat oven to 350, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl cream together butter, shortening, cream cheese and sugars. Mix together until creamy (about 3-5 min), then add the egg and vanilla extract, again blend together.
- In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine, then add the remaining dry ingredients and stir. Lastly, fold in the graham cracker crumbs and incorporate with a few stirs. With a spoon scoop up about 1 Tbs of the cookie dough and form into a ball with hands, then flatten and place on the prepared cookie sheet and with your finger press down in the center of the cookie to make a little nest. Place cookies about 2 inches from each other. Put three cherries and their liquid in each nest, and place two big chocolate chips (or 4 regular size ones) in each nest. Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown, and then allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy! Makes 24 large cookies