This Chicken Broccoli Casserole Hot Dish is a very special one, it is my husbands favorite comfort food and my mother in law kindly gave me the recipe (along with a cute story). Story goes that her husband’s great aunt Grace gave her the recipe when they got married, and told her that it was her husbands’ favorite dish. Well, this recipe has sure stood the test of time, because all these years later, whenever the topic of comfort food comes up (lately on the blog there has been a lot of talk of comfort foods, see my posts on Blue Cheese Bechamel Mac n Cheese, Cottage Hand Pies, Browned Butter Spätzle, and 5 Ingredient Peach Crumble Pie) my husband says this is his favorite comfort food dish.
Gooey, creamy, rich and hearty on the inside with the perfect crunch from croutons on the outside…this dish really is mouth wateringly good! Last time we had this dish, my father in law added Sriracha hot sauce on the top, so, if you like spicy-this dish is complimented very nicely by some hot sauce.
Wait…is that a picture of a bunch of Fruit Snacks in that collage? What? Has she lost her mind? These are questions you might be asking yourself, and while I agree, some days I feel I have lost my mind, today isn’t one of them, and that isn’t a mistake. You see, I never really had fruit snacks growing up and my sister in law got ahold of that information and surprised me with a plate of all the different kinds of fruit snacks for me to try!!! How sweet is that?!? I really lucked out and have amazing in-laws! After trying all the wonderful flavors and different kinds, I can report (after several sugar highs) that my favorite was the Fruit Roll Ups.
Since this recipe is from my mother in law and my sister in law gave me the fruit snacks to try, it all comes together, right?
Do you have a favorite fruit snack from when you were a kid? What is your comfort dish…these are all things I’d LOVE to know about you!
- 6 Chicken Breasts - boiled and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Lbs Broccoli - my mother in law uses frozen broccoli florets - cooked drained and dried off (she uses a dish towel to try).
- 2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Cup Mayo
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar
- 1 Package Croutons
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together cream of chicken soup and mayo and 1/2 of the cheese (2 cups).
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish (my mother in law uses butter for this)
- Put broccoli on the bottom, then the chicken, then spread the soup/mayo/cheese mixture and cover with the remaining shredded cheese and put the entire bag of croutons on top.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.