Have you ever had Black Rice? If not, you should definitely go to Whole Foods or your local health food store (where I found mine) and buy some…it is so delish, and really makes your dish pop with color! Black rice (aka purple rice or Forbidden Black rice-the name i like lol) is a deep black color and usually turns deep purple when cooked. Its dark purple color is primarily due to its anthocyanin content, and lets face it, with the name Forbidden Black Rice it just has to be awesome. For this dish, I served the rice with saucy tomato shrimp on top, and boy was it good. My husband kept asking me what I was making because it smelled so good. Then, when I posted a preview picture to my instagram my husband said ‘make sure you comment that it smells and tastes so much better than the picture’ so here is the recipe:
- 1 cup Black Rice
- 1 lb Raw Shrimp I actually found a bag that was peeled and deveined!
- 4 vine tomatoes diced or chopped
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooking white wine
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 lime
- seasonings 1 tsp each: Salt Garlic Salt, Paprika and then a sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes if you like a little heat
- Cook the rice (2.5 cups water to 1 cup dry rice). Put water, rice and 1 tbs butter and 1 tsp salt in a pot, bring to a boil and then reduce to low, put lid on the pot and let cook for about 45-1hr until rice has absorbed the water.
- In a pan add the other tbs butter and chopped onions, saute until they are slightly translucent and turning brown. Next add the tomatoes and let the tomatoes and onions cook until the tomatoes are starting to bubble. Add the white wine, and then add the juice of 1 lime. Stir together, and then add the shrimp and all the seasonings and cook stirring occasionally until the ship are pink and done.
- To serve place a ladle full of rice in a shallow bowl, and then a ladle full of the tomato shrimp on top-the sauce nicely compliments the rice.
The components of the dish cooking
All ready to be eaten!