What can I say, I’m just not one for showing up at a party empty handed! So when we went to one of my husbands’ friends’ 30th birthday parties I just had to bring something and knew one of his favorite alcohols is Gin. I decided to make homemade fruit snacks in Cranberry-Raspberry flavor and then soak them in Gin. One can also make the little fruit snacks and not soak them in alcohol for them to just be regular Cranberry-Raspberry Fruit Snacks. So for this weeks’ Five Ingredient Friday the recipe is a fun snack!
Making them is a lot easier than one might think-just put some juice, fruit, sugar and gelatin in a pan, dissolve, cook, cool, cut and voila! You have some amazingly tasty little treats. Pour some good Gin over them and bring them to a party.
What do I mean by ‘good Gin?’ I’d say one that you’d drink by itself, not just the cheapest one available. For the Gin I used one called Rehorst made by Great Lakes Distillery which is made with 9 botanicals including two never found in any Gin before. The first, Sweet Basil add’s a unique fresh floral character. The second is Wisconsin Ginseng that gives it a uniquely ‘Wisconsin flavor.’ If you’re ever in Milwaukee you should definitely check them out, they have a beautiful distillery and a wonderful tour I have personally been on probably 5 or more times (click here for a Milwaukee City Guide). Every time we have friends in town we take them on this tour…it’s definitely worth checking out, and their spirits are deeeelish!
To serve these gin soaked fruit snacks one can just put a spoon in the bowl and then people can put a few squares in a shot glass and a few spoonfuls of the Gin-just like a jello shot! I was told it brought back some very fond college memories!
Yet another great thing about these fruit snacks is that they are totally customizable to what you want to use-any kind of juice and fruit would work. Another combo I was thinking about was Orange Juice with frozen mango and lemon Vodka…the possibilities are endless!
- 1 1/2 Cups Cranberry Juice any kind of juice would do
- 1/2 Cup frozen Raspberries finely chopped (any kind of frozen fruit finely chopped up will do)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 4 packets Gelatin
- 1-2 Cups Gin or Vodka
- In a sauce pan put cranberry juice, frozen raspberries, and sugar. Stir once or twice. Then empty Gelatin packets over the juice and let sit for about 2-5 minutes until the gelatin looks like it is starting to dissolve and softens.
- Turn heat to medium and stir gently until the Gelatin and Sugar have dissolved-about 5 minutes. Turn heat off and pour into a measuring cup and then into a mold (or alternatively you could line a pan with wax paper and then cut into shapes with cookie cutters after it is done cooling.)
- Let cool in the fridge until it sets-about 2 hours.
- Run a knife around the side of the molds and turn onto a cutting board and cut into 4s if using a square or cut with cookie cutters into desired shapes.
- Put square into a bowl, slowly pour Gin to cover the fruit snack squares and allow to sit for 2 hours in the fridge and then serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from the Rachel Cooks blog post on White Grape Homemade Fruit Snacks and the Wellness Mama’s recipe for Homemade Healthy Fruit snacks