This Instant Pot chicken and rice turmeric soup recipe is one you’ll want to keep on hand all winter long. The other day, I was just craving a warm, savory meal and made this amazing anti-inflammatory soup recipe that I know you will love! The soup is vibrantly yellow (because of the turmeric) and has ginger and lemon it, yum!
Before you get too nervous, this soup does not have Indian flavors like some would expect from turmeric recipes. Turmeric IS an ingredient in curry, but it’s NOT curry itself (curry powder is a mixture of spices with a bright golden hue and a complex flavor. It can be made with a variety of spices, usually including turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, and chili pepper.) Turmeric spice has also been used for thousands of years as a medicinal herb with anti-inflammatory properties.
What ingredients do you need for this soup?
- Onion, carrots and celery – these ingredients make up a mirepoix, which is the base of many amazing soups like this one.
- Lemon – you will use the juice of a whole lemon in this recipe – the lemon-ginger-turmeric is a delicious and healing combination.
- Ginger – this recipe uses fresh ginger to aid in its healing properties (ginger is also an anti-inflammatory ingredient)
- Turmeric – turmeric spice is used in this recipe to give it the beautiful golden-color and for the many health benefits
- Better than Bullion – the base of the broth for this soup is flavorful Better than Bullion chicken. You can also use chicken broth if you don’t have this ingredient
- Chicken breast – you’ll need to cube chicken breast for this, you could also omit the chicken breast and make it into a vegetarian soup.
- Basmati rice – I like using brown basmati rice for this recipe, but you could use any kind of brown or white rice.
When you make this recipe, it will be bright yellow! You’ll taste flavor notes of ginger and lemon (and, of course, a slight earthiness of turmeric).
I love using my Instant Pot for soups because you can build amazing flavors in no time at all! Below are three other amazing Instant Pot soup recipes for you to try:
- Healthy Instant Pot creamy chicken gnocchi soup
- Instant Pot sausage sweet potato soup
- Instant Pot baked potato soup
How do you make chicken and rice turmeric soup?
- Sauté the chicken, onion celery and carrots with garlic for 12 min
- Add thyme, ginger, turmeric, lemon juice
- Add liquid and add basmati rice and salt
- Cook on high pressure for 25 minute, let natural release
This Instant Pot chicken and rice turmeric soup recipe is like a hug for your insides! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Turmeric Soup
- 1 lb. chicken breast cut up into cubes
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 large large carrots roughly chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves pressed or finely chopped
- 2 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger grated
- 1 1/2 Tbs turmeric
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 Tbs Better than Bullion (alternative: 5 cups broth)
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cut chicken into cubes. Roughly chop onion, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Set Instant Pot to "Saute" setting, and saute the chicken, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in olive oil 12 minutes.
- Add thyme, ginger, turmeric, and juice of one lemon and rice and stir
- Add liquid and bullion (or broth) and salt.
- Secure the lid with the valve in sealing position.
- Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes, let natural release, serve and enjoy