Imagine making a soup, spending hours over the stove stirring a pot and waiting for flavors to develop…now forget that, because the best healthy instant pot baked potato soup recipe I’m about to share with you takes about 30 minutes start to finish, and is SOOOOO good.
If you have been on the fence about cooking with an Instant Pot, I’m here to tell you that if you get it for nothing else, get it for soup!
What exactly is an Instant Pot?
An instant pot is a pressure cooker, but it also saute’s and can be used as a slow cooker and a rice cooker, and a steamer and about a million other things.
What ingredients do you need for a healthy baked potato soup?
- Gold/yellow potatoes
- Green onions
- Fat free chicken broth
- Garlic salt
- Greek yogurt
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
Would you believe me if I told you that I made this healthy baked potato soup in 10 minutes! That’s right, only 10 minutes to a delicious, creamy soup.
The flavors in this baked potato soup are so amazing, they seriously taste like the soup has been cooking all day: newsflash – it took 10 minutes, and no stirring or anything was involved as the soup cooked!
How do you thicken potato soup?
- This recipe is the best because the exact thing that helps make it a healthier option is also what helps to thicken it up; the cauliflower! If you blend up cauliflower, it turns into a thick whitish sauce, so you definitely don’t need to use as much cream.
- Plus, a bit of Greek yogurt and cream cheese all blend together for a thick and creamy soup.
I have the 6 quart Instant Pot which is perfect for soups and stews. There are some smaller options available if you just want to give it a try before upgrading to a larger size. But, I promise, you’ll never look back. There are plenty of recipes to make in and Instant Pot.
What are some other Instant Pot recipes?
My husband asked me ‘was it really all that different than cooking on a stove top?’ YES is the answer to that. It cooks so fast, and really doesn’t require any attention when it’s cooking.
How many calories does this healthy baked potato soup have?
- This soup only has 26 calories per serving – and it’s a fairly large serving – yum!
Next time you’re in need of a healthy dinner recipe that takes less than 30 minutes to make, this healthy Instant Pot baked potato soup recipe is as far as you need to look!
The Best Healthy Instant Pot Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs small gold/yellow potatoes peeled and cut into 4s (I had 10 potatoes - you could use other types of potatoes.)
- 1 lb cauliflower one small head of cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 bunch green onions chopped, greens and whites separated
- 6 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese 1/3 reduced fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar shredded (1/2 cup reserved for toppings)
- 15 pieces bacon baked and finely chopped (or you could use bacon bits)
- Start by peeling and chopping the potatoes, and chop the cauliflower and add both to a 6 qt Instant Pot.
- Finely dice the green onions, and put the white parts in the instant pot (save the greens for topping the soup).
- Pour chicken broth into the instant pot and add salt and garlic salt. The broth should slightly cover the potatoes and cauliflower.
- Seal the Instant pot lid and move the valve to 'sealing' and cook on manual or soup setting for 10 minutes. My Instant Pot had a little bit of preheating time, around 3-5 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, turn the valve from sealing to venting to release the pressure. This will make a hissing sound and the steam will come out which takes a few minutes.
- I like to wait a few minutes (usually at least 5 minutes) after the venting is done before removing the lid. Use a potato masher and mash directly in the instant pot. If you like a chunkier soup, leave some pieces not mashed.
- Add in the Greek yogurt, cream cheese and butter, and stir until combined well. Then add in 1 cup of the cheddar and stir. Add a pinch of salt and pepper if you like soup a little saltier.
- I like to cook the bacon while the soup is cooking, but this can be done ahead of time, or you can use bacon bits.
- When soup is done cooking, ladle into a bowl (2 1/2 big ladle fulls made up one serving for this recipe) top with a pinch of green onions, shredded cheddar and a piece and half of bacon, crumbled and enjoy!
Jacquelyn King says
Just made this and so yummy! How much is one serving?
SweetPhi Team says
Glad you like it! Each serving is about 1 cup
I just got an instant pot and made this last night. So delicious!
Makes me so happy to hear, so glad you liked it!!
Jody Ventura says
Thank you for posting this today. We spent the morning digging out from a snow storm. We were cold and wet. I was quickly able to make a pot of warm and hearty soup. Admittedly, I modified the cooking instructions because I don’t have an instapot. It still turned out creamy. I loved using the cauliflower as a thickener. 5 Star Recipe!
I’m so happy to hear this!! This is exactly how I enjoyed this soup this week (after a snow day!). Also thank you for your feedback about cooking it via stove top!
I made this yesterday for the first time. Absolutely delicious!
Joycelyn Burdeau says
Would this soup be okay to freeze and how long would it last?
Most definitely – I’ve made it/frozen it several times! It lasts about 2-3 months in the freezer
I am excited to make this tomorrow!
Hope you loved it!
Sharon S says
OMG this was so good! Alas, I don’t have an Instant Pot yet and used my old slow cooker, but it was a great twist on my favorite soup (loaded baked potato). I want an Instant Pot now more than ever. Great review.
If I wanted to make this and then have leftovers for next day or whatever… do you have recommended storage? I’m thinking of making the soup as is – and then have bacon crumbles on-hand to top separate from the soup. Was thinking of just putting it all in a large Tupperware?
That is perfect for storing. I’ve frozen the leftovers before, just the soup part, and then had the toppings separate and it was great!
Thank you so much, this soup is super yummy 🙂