I have definitely had different versions of moussaka, a Greek dish I happen to love but have never made before, so I tried to make it and boy was it delish! My fiance told me that he has never had it with a tomato sauce before and that his grandfather made it differently (with lots of cream and butter and cheese ) so i’m sure I’ll have to try to make it again the unhealthier way! This was pretty darn good! So there is my version of the Greek Egglant Moussaka dish.
- 2 Eggplants
- 2 potatoes
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon + nutmeg
- Olive Oil as needed
- Cheese sauce: 3 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Cup Milk can use half and half for thicker effect
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese can use more if desired
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Slice the eggplant long-wise into 1/2 inch thick strips. Lay on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a pan heat some olive oil and the chopped up onion and garlic. Then add ground lamb and cook until almost no pink is remaining, add salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in half a can of tomato paste and can of crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, make sure everything is mixed together, then turn heat off.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Peel and cut potatoes into thin slices. When water is boiling add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- For the cheese topping sauce: in a saucepan melt the butter, then whisk in flour, salt, pepper and gradually stir in the milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. In a small bowl beat the eggs, and then add the eggs to the sauce mixture. Mix well, then add in half the Parmesan cheese.
- Coat a baking dish wish cooking spray or butter, lay eggplant, then potatoes, then meat and tomato mixture. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese, then add the sauce. Place on top of a lined cookie sheet in case it bubbles over.
- Bake for 45 minutes in 350 degree oven. Remove and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Your house will smell insanely good after making this dish!