If you’re looking for an easy meal prep recipe or even food to bring over to a new Mom, these meal prep beef burritos with zucchini are the answer!
What I love most about this recipe is how well these burritos freeze and reheat. You can make them, freeze them and then you have a freezer burrito all ready to go for a quick meal.
These meal prep burritos are a great food gift for new moms, because they can eat them with one hand, while feeding baby with the other. I always had freezer burritos on hand for quick meals when I was in the early weeks of being a new mom, or having a new baby(babies).
What ingredients do I need for meal prep beef burritos?
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Small yellow onion
- Zucchini – you will end up shredding this
- Lean ground beef
- Garlic salt
- Chili powder
- Brown rice – you can, of course, white white rice as an alternative ( I like to use the microwaveable kind for even quicker meal prep)
- Cheddar cheese
- Refried beans
The beauty of these burritos is that they are a beef and zucchini recipe, but the zucchini doesn’t stand out or get soggy (because you’re shredding it) so it’s a nice un-noticed veggie addition (say for kids who don’t like the ‘look’ of greens, but will gobble up these burritos). I always love when I can sneak veggies into a recipe without the kid knowing!
When you’re shredding the zucchini, it is very important to make sure you really squeeze out the excess liquid. I do this by literally squeezing a paper towel stack (3-4 pieces of paper towel, or a kitchen towel would work) over the zucchini shreds, and dumping out the liquid. This helps to ensure the burritos do not get soggy.
What are some easy freezer meal recipes?
- 5-ingredient black bean freezer burritos
- Chicken broccoli alfredo freezer meal
- Make-ahead freezer quiche
- 5 easy freezer meal dinners
- For more inspiration: freezer meal roundup
These meal prep beef burritos make a great dinner to enjoy immediately. Or, by re-heating a frozen burrito.
If you’re re-heating, below are a few options. I always love a crispy crust of burritos, achieved by putting them in the toaster oven with a little cooking spray, or by heating them up in an air fryer!
How to reheat frozen burritos
- Freezer to microwave (fastest): Remove aluminum foil, place a paper towel over burrito and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, seam side up. Rotate burrito to seam side down and microwave for an additional 1 1/2-3 minutes. Test burrito done-ness by pressing your thumb to the middle part of the burrito, it shouldn’t be frozen or cold. Extra step – cook them under a broiler with a little cooking spray or in a pan sprayed with a little cooking spray to get a nice crispy outside, totally worth the extra few minutes.
- Freezer to oven (longest): Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake foil covered burrito for 40 minutes, remove foil and spray with a little cooking spray and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Alternatively, you could thaw the burrito in the refrigerator overnight and cook like the above (oven) at 400 for 25 minutes.
- Freezer to air fryer. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees. Place foil covered burrito in the air fryer for 5 minutes. Carefully remove foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, cook for an additional 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
I like a burrito to be really hot on the inside when I reheat them, so I always microwave mine a minute or so before popping it in a toaster oven or air fryer!
Next time you’re looking for a great meal to bring to a new mom and just an easy meal prep dish, these meal prep beef burritos with zucchini are always a good idea!
Meal Prep Beef Burritos with Zucchini
These meal prep beef burritos with zucchini are a perfect make-ahead freezer meal that can be re-heated for a quick, easy and hearty dinner.Print Rate
Servings: 8 burritos
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup zucchini shredded (from 1 small or 1/2 medium zucchini)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup salsa heat level to your liking
- 2 cups brown rice cooked (or white rice - I use 90 second microwave rice)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 can refried beans 14.5oz. can
- 8 tortillas burrito-size
- Shred zucchini and squeeze dry with paper towels to really remove any excess liquid. I do this with 3 pieces of paper towel, and do the process about twice to really remove excess liquid.
- In a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and cook onions until almost translucent, about 5 minutes, then add zucchini shreds and ground beef and garlic salt, cumin and chili powder. Cook, breaking up the meat as you cook, until no more pink remains, about 5 minutes. Add salsa and cook until the liquid has reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice and shred cheese.
- When the meat mixture is done cooking, you can start assembling the burritos. Spread about 1-2 tablespoons refried beans around the edge of a tortilla. Add ⅛ of the meat mixture, ⅛ of the rice and a handful of cheese to the center of the tortilla. Roll so that it forms a burrito shape. Repeat until all burritos are made.
The nutrition information presented on this site should be considered an estimate as the calculations will change based on the exact products you use in your own kitchen.
Calories: 467kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 909mg | Potassium: 542mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 233mg | Iron: 4mg
I made a large batch using salsa verde and ground turkey and they were good. I’ll be gifting these to 2 families. If I were to make for just me, I’d add some jalapeños. Thanks for the instructions!
I’m so glad you loved these, and what a truly lovely gift!!! Thank you so much for commenting, I really appreciate that (and jalapenos on these sound amazing)
These are a big hit at our house!
I’m so happy to hear this!!! Thank you for sharing your feedback!!
Indeed one of the perfect work, I have ever came across!!
Thanks so much, so glad you enjoy!