If you’re looking for an easy meal prep recipe or even food to bring over to a new Mom, these meal prep beef burritos with zucchini are the answer!
What ingredients do I need for meal prep beef burritos?
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Small yellow onion
- Zucchini – you will end up shredding this
- Lean ground beef
- Garlic salt
- Chili powder
- Brown rice – you can, of course, white white rice as an alternative ( I like to use the microwaveable kind for even quicker meal prep)
- Cheddar cheese
- Refried beans
What are some easy freezer meal recipes?
- 5-ingredient black bean freezer burritos
- Chicken broccoli alfredo freezer meal
- Make-ahead freezer quiche
- 5 easy freezer meal dinners
- For more inspiration: freezer meal roundup
How to reheat frozen burritos
- Freezer to microwave (fastest): Remove aluminum foil, place a paper towel over burrito and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, seam side up. Rotate burrito to seam side down and microwave for an additional 1 1/2-3 minutes. Test burrito done-ness by pressing your thumb to the middle part of the burrito, it shouldn’t be frozen or cold. Extra step – cook them under a broiler with a little cooking spray or in a pan sprayed with a little cooking spray to get a nice crispy outside, totally worth the extra few minutes.
- Freezer to oven (longest): Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake foil covered burrito for 40 minutes, remove foil and spray with a little cooking spray and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Alternatively, you could thaw the burrito in the refrigerator overnight and cook like the above (oven) at 400 for 25 minutes.
- Freezer to air fryer. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees. Place foil covered burrito in the air fryer for 5 minutes. Carefully remove foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, cook for an additional 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
I like a burrito to be really hot on the inside when I reheat them, so I always microwave mine a minute or so before popping it in a toaster oven or air fryer!
Next time you’re looking for a great meal to bring to a new mom and just an easy meal prep dish, these meal prep beef burritos with zucchini are always a good idea!
Meal Prep Beef Burritos with Zucchini
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup zucchini shredded (from 1 small or 1/2 medium zucchini)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup salsa heat level to your liking
- 2 cups brown rice cooked (or white rice - I use 90 second microwave rice)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 can refried beans 14.5oz. can
- 8 tortillas burrito-size
- Shred zucchini and squeeze dry with paper towels to really remove any excess liquid. I do this with 3 pieces of paper towel, and do the process about twice to really remove excess liquid.
- In a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and cook onions until almost translucent, about 5 minutes, then add zucchini shreds and ground beef and garlic salt, cumin and chili powder. Cook, breaking up the meat as you cook, until no more pink remains, about 5 minutes. Add salsa and cook until the liquid has reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice and shred cheese.
- When the meat mixture is done cooking, you can start assembling the burritos. Spread about 1-2 tablespoons refried beans around the edge of a tortilla. Add ⅛ of the meat mixture, ⅛ of the rice and a handful of cheese to the center of the tortilla. Roll so that it forms a burrito shape. Repeat until all burritos are made.