These 5-ingredient vegetarian black bean freezer burritos are perfect for making a big batch of and then having for lunches throughout the week. I have just recently discovered the power of the freezer burrito, having a delicious burrito all ready to go and warm in a few minutes – it’s amazing!
Whomever I tell about my amazing ‘new’ discovery laughs at me because apparently everyone else has known about the magic of freezer burritos for years and has been keeping it a secret from me? Whatever the reason that I’m so late to this trend, I don’t care. I am serious in love with it.
Freezer burritos are great, you take half an hour one day to assemble them, and then store them in the freezer. Then, when you’re in need of a quick lunch, all you do is go to your freezer, take out a burrito and warm it and viola, you have yourself a delicious burrito.
Can I share something weird with you guys? I really don’t like the taste of microwaved meat, especially chicken! It’s so bad, but I just simply cannot eat it, the flavor isn’t the same and it just grosses me out, so when it comes to microwaving lunches, I’m ALL ABOUT VEGETARIAN options, which is why I made these freezer burritos vegetarian.
They’re filled with a delicious combination of black beans, brown rice, salsa and cheese, and then wrapped in a super soft burrito.
My hubby helped make the burritos as you can see above! Major props to him this week – it’s been so crazy busy, and he even brought me dinner when I was having a super late meeting this week, it was super sweet.
After you make your burritos, you wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Then when you need lunch, you just take it out of the freezer and microwave it (I shared on snapchat, username: sweetphi me enjoying these vegetarian freezer burritos this week!)
Other recipes you might enjoy:
5-Ingredient Vegetarian Freezer Burritos
- 1 cup dry brown rice cooked (yields about 2 cups)
- 10-12 soft tortilla shells
- 2 cans black beans drained
- 1 cup salsa to heat level of your liking
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Cook rice according to package instructions (I cook this ahead of time).
- Lay a tortilla shell on a board, add a few spoonfuls of brown rice, then topp with a few spoonfuls of black beans, salsa and a pinch of shredded cheese.
- Roll the burrito tightly.
- Wrap the burrito in plastic wrap and then put in a ziplock freezer bag. Repeat until all the burritos are made.
- To warm the burritos: I like the toaster oven method best- I remove the burrito from the freezer and remove plastic wrap. Put on a plate and cover with a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds, then put in the toaster oven on high heat for 10 minutes, flipping half way through, until both sides start to brown slightly.
- If you don't have a toaster oven, simply microwave burrito on a plate on high, covered in a paper towel for 1 minute, then flip the burrito and microwave for an additional minute. Let sit in the microwave for one minute, then remove and enjoy. Sometimes I've had to microwave for an additional 30 seconds if the burrito is really stuffed!