These 5 ingredient vegetarian black bean freezer burritos are perfect for making a big batch of and then having for lunches throughout the week. If you haven’t tried freezer burritos yet, now is the time!
Apparently I was late to the game on the popularity of freezer burritos, but they are seriously the best. Having a warm hearty meal all ready to go – simply warm and enjoy – is the very best!
What ingredients do you need for black bean freezer burritos?
- Brown rice
- Black beans
- Tortilla shells
- Mexican blend cheese
If you can spare 30 minutes over the weekend, that’s just about all you need to assemble these black bean freezer burritos. Then, when you’re looking for a quick, delicious lunch, you just go to your freezer, take out a burrito and warm it and viola, you have yourself a delicious lunch!
For me, the best part of this recipe is that it’s a vegetarian dish. Do you know why I love that so much? Well, I actually cannot stand the taste of microwaved meat; especially chicken! It’s so bad, but I just simply cannot eat it; the flavor isn’t the same and it just grosses me out!
So when it comes to microwaving lunches, I am all for vegetarian options. But, if you’re looking for another great meal prep burrito with meat, these meal prep burritos are great as well!
How do you make freezer black bean burritos?
- Cook rice according to package instructions. It’s been to do this ahed of time to ensure the rice is dry before you start.
- Lay a tortilla shell on a board, add a few spoonfuls of brown rice. Top with a few spoonfuls of black beans, salsa and a pinch of shredded cheese.
- Roll the burrito tightly.
- Wrap the burrito in plastic wrap and then put into a zip top freezer bag. Repeat until all the burritos are made.
To warm the burritos:
- Toaster oven – remove the burrito from the freezer and remove the plastic wrap. Put on a plate and cover with paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds then put in the toaster oven on high heat for 10 minutes, flipping half way through, until both sides start to brown slightly.
- Microwave – Put the burrito on a plate and microwave on high, covered in a paper towel for 1 minute. Flip the burrito and microwave for an additional minute. Let sit in the microwave for one minute, then remove and enjoy! If the burrito is very full, microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
These black bean freezer burritos should become part of your weekly rotation and you won’t be disappointed. If you make them, I’d love to know so just leave a comment below.
5 Ingredient Vegetarian Freezer Black Bean Burritos
- 1 cup dry brown rice cooked (yields about 2 cups)
- 10-12 tortilla shells soft
- 2 cans black beans drained
- 1 cup salsa to heat level of your liking
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Cook rice according to package instructions (I cook this ahead of time).
- Lay a tortilla shell on a board, add a few spoonfuls of brown rice, then top with a few spoonfuls of black beans, salsa and a pinch of shredded cheese.
- Roll the burrito tightly.
- Wrap the burrito in plastic wrap and then put in a ziplock freezer bag. Repeat until all the burritos are made.
To warm the burritos
- Toaster Oven (my favorite method) - I remove the burrito from the freezer and remove plastic wrap. Put on a plate and cover with a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds, then put in the toaster oven on high heat for 10 minutes, flipping half way through, until both sides start to brown slightly.
- Microwave - put a burrito on a plate and microwave on high, covered in a paper, towel for 1 minute, then flip the burrito and microwave for an additional minute. Let sit in the microwave for one minute, then remove and enjoy. Sometimes I've had to microwave for an additional 30 seconds if the burrito is really stuffed!
HI! How long do these stay good for in the freezer before they start to go soggy?! Thanks!
They look great!
I’d say 2 months in the freezer (but I’ll admit, I have found some well after that hiding out in the freezer, and they’re still delish). The trick is heating them, I’d recommend thawing and baking them to get the crispy outside!
Dhrubaa Mukherjee says
OMG! This is the best idea ever! Do they need to be heated immediately? Or will they last 3 hours to serve as office lunch?
Little Cooking Tips says
Perfect! We have a very similar filling in Tacos in the weekend, we make our own taco shells by frying whole-wheat tortillas and they’re delicious. The difference was that we added Greek yogurt, avocado slices and Cayenne pepper as well:)
We never had burritos, only wraps (fajitas) and tacos, we’d LOVE to try your method and make some of those ahead for the week (we now wonder if avocado is something we can freeze or not, we’ll check it out, it’s full of fat so it should be ok)!
Thank you for another delicious idea dear Phi!
Your additions to tacos (and your way of frying the tortillas) sounds great! Tacos/burritos are all about personalization! And I think that avocados would be ok as a filling, but they might get discolored and brown when reheating.
Thank you for your comment
Omg I am the EXACT same way! I literally will refuse any meat served to me out of the microwave. Beef is especially bad, but chicken has been getting to me lately too. Glad to see you’re on the burrito trend- I have to say- the fact that you can make saran-wrapped burritos look gorgeous means you have tons of talent girl. Way to go! 🙂
Isn’t it so weird how one can taste those subtleties? I love these freezer burritos because they’re vegetarian and sooo good when reheated 🙂
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy says
I have a whole draw in my freezer filled with burritos are various kinds. You can never have too many burritos, right?
They are just so handy for a grab and go meal.
One can never have enough burritos, you’re so right! I’ve never made other kinds, so I’m hooked on black beans ones right now. Do you have another flavor combo you like?
I’m so relieved to hear someone else can’t deal with the taste of reheated chicken! My fiancé thinks this quirk of mine is so strange. If I eat reheated chicken it has to be DRENCHED in some kind of very flavorful sauce or I just can’t do it without grimacing the whole time I’m eating it. I’m so glad there’s someone else out there to make me feel less alone in my reheated chicken weirdness. I feel vindicated! ?
I’m SO WITH YOU!!!! My hubby always thinks I’m weird when I tell him that, but it’s true, to me reheated chicken just tastes funny! That’s why I love these vegetarian freezer burritos 🙂
shawnna griffin says
hey girl these look really good!
Thank you so much! These are great for having on hand when you need a quick lunch 🙂