When apples are everywhere, I get to baking! I especially love baking with the kids in the kitchen and this mini apple galettes recipe is perfect for that.A couple of years ago, I made a recipe for a green tomato galette and love making them so much that I knew I needed to create another galette recipe. A galette is simply any flat, round pastry. It’s a rustic, more free-form, tart made with a single crust of pastry or bread dough.
Galettes are great to make with kids because they are incredibly forgiving. You can let the kids help mix the dough and roll out. Since galettes are meant to look rustic, I am never worried about them looking perfect like a pie.
What ingredients do I need for this mini apple galettes recipe?
For the dough:
- All-purpose flour
- Salted butter
- Half and half or heavy cream
For the apple pie filling:
- Small-medium apples
- Apple pie or pumpkin pie spice – cinnamon is also another option
- Lemon juice
The best part about this recipe is that you really can use whatever filling you have on hand – strawberries, mixed berries or even jam! My kids love to mix the fruit fillings and then dive in to help with the dough.
Almost 100% of the time when I am baking, I use these Gold Touch sheet pans and my sil-pat mat for the easiest clean up. I highly recommend both items if you love to bake!
When this apple galette comes together, I always love to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for that classic apple pie/vanilla ice cream combination that we all love!
This mini apple galettes recipe is so fun to make with kids and perfect for fall time baking. If you create it with another fruit combo, I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
Mini Apple Galettes Recipe
For the dough
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter cut into cubes
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs half and half or heavy cream
For the apple filling
- 3 apples small-medium, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp apple pie spice you can also use pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Whisk flour and sugar, add butter and blend by hand (or pastry blender) until small pea size.
- Mix in egg and cream, form into disk and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate minimum 1 hr, or up to 3 days.
- Make Apple filling.
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking matt or parchment paper
- Cut dough disc into 6-8, roll out, fill with Apple filling and crimp/fold dough edges.
- Bake 30-45 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown around edges.
Susan P. says
This looks easy and great to make with the kids. It would be fun to make with a variety of apples.
I think they’d love these, they’re so versatile and delicious!
Just made these with apples and cinnamon. They were delicious and easy to make. Put some whipping on top and gobbled them down. Gonna try other fruits next time. Thanks
Thank you so much for the feedback, so glad you liked the recipe, and I love the addition of whipped cream on top, thank you for sharing!!