This 5 ingredient cherry chicken & couscous is an easy dinner recipe, made with only 5 ingredients and is super flavorful and unique. Plus, anyone can make this recipe at home, regardless of their kitchen equipment (this cherry chicken and couscous can be made via slow cooker/crockpot, Instant Pot or stovetop!)
What I love about this recipe (other than it’s so easy and is a chicken dinner made with only 5 ingredients-hello 5-Ingredient Fridays) is that it can be made 3 different ways:
What 5 Ingredients do I need to make this easy chicken dinner?
- Chicken breast tenders – if you don’t have tenders, you can use chicken breasts and just cut them into strips.
- Frozen cherries – cherries are great to use in cooking when you’re looking for a tart note. You could also use fresh pitted cherries.
- Brown sugar – the brown sugar adds that touch of sweetness needed to balance the tart and spice in the other ingredients.
- Chili sauce – helping to create the perfect balance of slightly spicy and sweet.
- Couscous – simply use a package of your favorite couscous as a bed for the chicken. This isn’t cooked with the chicken. You could substitute rice or quinoa.
I love the savory/sweet flavor combination in this dish. It reminds me of the cranberry pork tenderloin I made earlier this year. And the best news is that the family loves both of those dishes! I always count that as a win!
But, stovetop is great for those nights you need a quick dinner on the table – this meal only takes about 20 minutes to make start to finish! If you’re making this stovetop, please note the sauce is a little thicker than if you make it via slow cooker or Instant pot.
This 5 ingredient cherry chicken & couscous dinner has been added to our regular rotation of meals we all love.
- 1.25 lbs. chicken breast tenders or boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 bag frozen cherries 10 oz. bag
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 package couscous cooked according to package
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Combine chicken, cherries, brown sugar and chili sauce in a slow cooker. Stir.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Turn off the heat and remove the lid (the sauce will slightly thicken up a little).
- Make couscous. Enjoy chicken atop couscous.
- In a non-stick skillet spray cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil. Add chicken tenders and cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for 2 more minutes
- Add in cherries, brown sugar and chili sauce. Allow everything to cook together for 5-10 minutes, until cherries are cooke through.
- Make the couscous according to package instructions, then divide the chicken and sauce and couscous into 4 bowls and enjoy.
Instant Pot Instructions
- Combine chicken, cherries, brown sugar and chili sauce in an Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Set pressure for 5 minutes. When the timer goes off, let pressure naturally release (quick release makes things sputter out the valve).
- When the timer goes off, cook couscous according to package instructions, and then serve.