This 5 ingredient chocolate peanut butter ice cream cake is THE no bake ice cream cake to make this summer – everyone will love this dessert and since it’s no bake, the ice cream cake only takes a few minutes to put together, the freezer does the rest!
My husbands’ birthday was this past weekend. Every year I make him a cake, and while I usually make some super labor intensive cake (like this chocolate and raspberry layer cake) albeit being delicious does require more hands-on time. This year when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he said he wanted an ice cream cake. I asked if he wanted a specific flavor, and he said ‘something with Reese’s peanut butter cups.’
[Tweet “Perfect for any party – 5 ingredient chocolate peanut butter ice cream cake from @sweetphi”]
After a quick trip to the grocery store I started making the recipe and looked down and there were only 5 ingredients. Ding ding ding – perfect for today’s Five Ingredient Friday! He also requested I make beer brat and caramelized onion pizza, a request I gladly obliged because that pizza…omg so good!
I do have to say, I was a little surprised by how easy it was to make this ice cream cake and how delicious it was. I should have known adding chocolate ice cream with Reese’s chunks with hot fudge and whipping cream would create a decadent cake. Chocolate-peanut butter anything is just a winner, isn’t it?
The thought of making ice cream cakes has always scared me a little. I have no idea why. The concept is really simple though-all you do is melt ice cream then put it in a mold/shape you want and then add in a few other ingredients and let it freeze. I used this 8 inch nonstick springform pan for this recipe.
And you know how some ice cream cakes are hard as a rock and need time to thaw before serving? Not this bad boy. This cake can be taken out of the freezer and sliced/served as is! It has to do with the combination of ingredients, and the fact that you’re using a hot fudge/whipped cream mixture to mix with cookie crumbles at the bottom of the cake instead of something like butter, which, when frozen would turn super hard and be almost impossible to cut through.
Like my favorite no bake desserts (this strawberry and cream icebox pie being on my list of course) no oven time is required, making it perfect for those hot summer days when the last thing one wants to do is turn on the oven.
Next time you are having a party or celebrating a birthday – make this delicious 5 ingredient chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream cake!
- 1 cup chocolate wafers crushed
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup hot fudge topping
- 1 1.5 Quart Bryers blast Reese's chocolate (or other chocolate - Reese's ice cream), melted
- 4-6 Reese's cups cut in half
- Pulsate chocolate wafer cookies in a food processor or crush them up (you could put them in a plastic bag and crust them between two plates if you don't have a food processor) and set aside.
- In the food processor (this is what I did - less clean up this way) or with a stand mixer whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form, then add in the hot fudge topping until combined, then set aside.
- Now take about half of the whipping cream-hot fudge mixture and mix it into the chocolate cookie crumbs, mix until combined. Spoon and press the mixture into the bottom of a non-stick springform pan (or other nonstick dish).
- Spoon and smooth the melted ice cream on top of this crust (I let my ice cream just sit out for about an hour, but you could certainly microwave it for a minute to get it to melt faster.)
- Then take the remaining whipping cream-hot fudge mixture and pour it on top of the ice cream. Use a spatula and smooth it, then take Reese's cup halves and arrange them on top of the cake. Freeze for 4 hours - or overnight and then slice when ready to serve!