This 5 ingredient Tzatziki sauce recipe is one of my all-time favorite recipes ever. Tzatziki is a super easy and quick cucumber-yogurt-garlic-dill sauce!
I’ve been making tzatziki for years, and when someone asked me for the recipe, I was taken back that I hadn’t shared it yet, so this week I’m sharing the recipe for Five Ingredient Fridays.
It’s a sauce, but also a dip. I serve it alongside grilled meats (particularly chicken or lamb- it goes perfect with these lamb chop pitas) or any Mediterranean or Greek food (it goes perfectly on these chickpea and zucchini veggie burgers), and I make it for parties as a dip and serve it with pita, it’s just one of those universally loved things!
I’m such a huge fan of Mediterranean and Greek food. Seriously, it’s probably my most favorite cuisine. The only problem? Where I live (Milwaukee) is sadly lacking in that type of food. It’s really a bummer. I’m from Chicago which has an awesome Greek Town, so sometimes my hubby and I will hop in the car and drive down to Chicago to get Greek food (I’ve been known to share these trips on my Instagram, @philiakelnhofer). And of course I always order a side of tzatziki sauce, lol.
The trick to making good tzatziki is to shred the cucumber and then pour off the excess water. It always amazes me how water cucumbers retain. After you pour off the water you mix the cucumbers with some garlic, yogurt (I actually like using plain yogurt but if you want it thicker you could use Greek yogurt), dill and optional you could add a dash of lemon juice.
For a quick dinner, what I like to do is make a tzatziki chicken salad on a pita. All I do is mix some rotisserie chicken and some of this tzatiki sauce and put it on a warm pita and viola, dinner done, and it takes like 5 minutes!
Are you subscribed to my newsletter? I’m getting ready to send out a newsletter subscriber exclusive giveaway next week!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- The Best Easy Baked Brie Appetizer
- Turkey Meatballs with Feta Rice and Tzatziki Sauce
- Prosciutto Fig and Arugula Flatbread
5 Ingredient Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
- 1 medium-large cucumber grated (peeling the cucumber is optional)
- 1 cup 8 oz plain yogurt (for thicker sauce use plain Green yogurt)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt optional
- Grate the cucumber into a bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then drain off the excess liquid.
- To the bowl add the yogurt, garlic, dill and lemon juice and add a pinch of salt if using.
- Stir until well combined, then refrigerate for an hour and serve.