Beer brat and caramelized onion pizza is perfect for a tailgating appetizer, or for a meal that is reminiscent of game day flavors. It’s made with beer brats and caramelized onions with ooey gooey mozzarella cheese, making it one delicious pizza.
Tailgating is BIG here in Wisconsin. As soon as baseball season starts, drive by the stadium (where the Milwaukee Brewers play) on a game day and you are guaranteed to either be stuck in traffic all excited on your way to the game, or see the sea of cars already parked and ready for tailgating.
Even though I went to college and grad school where tailgating was a ‘thing,’ I never really realized how big of a ‘thing’ it was until I moved to Wisconsin.
Put aside any images you may conjure up when you think ‘tailgating.’ In Wisconsin, tailgating is next level; it’s ten times whatever you were imagining. I’m talking about people that pull up their car and unload gear – grills, tables, coolers, tents, etc. All in the parking lot! Some people even just go to the parking lot to tailgate and never make it into the game. I’m not even kidding, that’s a thing here!
Included in any real tailgate in Wisconsin are beer brats. Beer brats are simply brats that are simmered in beer and then grilled. They’re deeeeelish! No other brats come close (ok ok, maybe these do). Once you have a beer brat you will never want a regular brat again.
When I first went to a baseball game with my husband a few years ago, it changed the way I look at tailgating food. Never before had I thought it was anything besides grilled hot dogs and brats. Like I said, it was next level.
So, as I was shopping for game day supplies, I thought about beer brats and the caramelized onions that go with it. And, to up my tailgating game, I had the idea of making this an amazing appetizer food.
An appetizer would be a great idea; something to bring and eat while the grill is getting set up. Something that can be enjoyed both as a tailgate food or something that can be enjoyed at home and be reminiscent of game day flavors: enter this delicious beer brat and caramelized onion pizza.
All the toppings of this pizza could be made ahead of time and then could be brought to the tailgate and you could grill the pizza there! Or you can make it ahead of time (like I did in my recipe) and then bring it as an appetizer for people to snack on while everything else is being set up
What I like to do is slice the pizza into itty bitty little pieces! It makes transferring the pizza to a storage container super easy!
Another option is making this for dinner. It’s such a yummy meal, and if you can’t make it to the game, it’s a great way to bring game day flavors to you!
Do you tailgate? What are some of your favorite tailgating recipes?
Beer Brat and Caramelized Onion Pizza
- 2 bratwursts uncooked
- 2 bottles light beer 12oz each
- 1/2 yellow onion finely sliced
- 2 Tbs butter
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
- 1 thin pizza crust store bought or homemade
- Pour beer in a deep rimmed frying pan or pot and add in the bratwursts, poke a few holes in the brats with the tip of a knife. Bring beer to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until the brats are grey (about 20 minutes.)
- While the brats are cooking, start caramelizing the onions. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a pan and add in sliced onions. Cook on medium heat and stir every few minutes, you don't want the onions to burn. They will start to become translucent in color and will turn a beautiful brown color. Mine took about 30 minutes of cooking to caramelize. Depending on the size of your onion it might take a little less time or a little longer.
- When the brats are done being cooked in the beer (this is when you would normally grill them) put them in a frying pan with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter and fry until each side is a little brown. When done cooking, allow brats to sit for a few minutes, then slice into pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place pizza dough on a baking sheet, then place mozzarella pieces around the crust. Distribute caramelized onions and brat slices around the pizza crust.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starts to brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, then slice and bring to your tailgate or enjoy for dinner!
This post was sponsored by Pick ‘n Save, all thoughts and opinions are mine alone. Thanks for supporting the brands which make the SweetPhi blog possible.