This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing a recap of our holidays and some hope for the New Year. Plus, I’m talking about some great books and products I have loved this past year.
I hope you had wonderful holidays. The time between Christmas and New Years is always a complete blur. I always look forward to getting into the swing of things again and starting the New Year.
This past year had its ups and downs in many ways, for everyone. I haven’t spoken about it a lot, but last year I set a health goal that I was working towards. Over the course of the last year, I lost 50 lbs and Nick lost 80. It feels so odd to write about it because it feels like nothing has changed and it’s been the slowest pace (can you insert a turtle emoji?), and I feel like I’m just at the beginning of my health journey. If you want to read the story, I wrote a long post about it here.
Some photos from our holidays:
Line 1: baking cookies for our cookie tins (we do this tradition)
Line 2: Winter walks and time outside
Line 3: Christmas eve. We made air fryer beef tenderloin and mashed sweet potatoes (sweet potato puree for the kids). My parents always had a real tree, so Christmas Eve we got one too; it was so special. We zoomed with my parents and sang some Christmas songs and lit the tree – plenty of water nearby. We read ‘Twas the night before Christmas’ and made/left out cookies for Santa, plus salad, carrots and an apple for the reindeer. (salad was Ben’s idea, too cute). Also, when I tried to give him an apple a few days later, he said “oh no mommy, apples are only for reindeer” lol.
Line 4: Santa came!! They were all so excited and it was magical. One gift they all loved were the cool plates/utensil set Santa brought them. Ben especially loves his construction plate set and requests it at mealtime.
Line 5: The kids LOVE the sensory bins they got from Santa, the ones from this shop have been the most beautiful and best gift ever (i’m going to get one for each of my niece’s birthdays coming up, that’s how much I love it!) – that and matching jammies.
Line 6: Frankie came in my office to help me work and then took off with my to-do list lol. The kids are so fun; Freddie continues to climb everything. And we had our first snow day!! The twins had a little trouble walking and it was funny because they kept wanting to go inside, lol.
New on the blog:
- Crispy from frozen broccoli – this has become one of my favorite ways to enjoy veggies in our house.
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – our family update from the previous week.
- In the kitchen bucket list – I love a bucket list to kick off the new year and this one is especially fun for me!
- Top recipes of 2020 – I love writing this post every year and it always includes some highlights and failures (<- recipe disasters if you will).
- Mini naan pizzas – seriously, the easiest weeknight dinner – gotta give Nick the credit for this one!
- Love List – sharing things around the web that me and my team love.
What I Made:
- I’ve been making my eggless waffles recipe and adding 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and turning them into pancakes. It’s a great make ahead recipe that I then freeze and have ready for the kids’ breakfast. And every once in a while I make them snowman pancakes (check out this fun IG reel of me making them)
- Make-ahead big batch granola is a big winner. Ben helps me make us little parfaits in the morning with homemade apple/pear sauce (you can find the recipe in my Baby Food Maker Cookbook) and then add yogurt and granola and voila.
- Freezer butternut squash soup is just such a hit, and I love making it ahead – it heats from the freezer so well. If I have any extra veggies I just add those in, like I had 4 ears of corn and I just added that in and it was perfectly delicious. All the kids eat it too!!
It’s the perfect time of year to share this comment from a reader on my post for healthy meal delivery services:
- “Have tried Sun Basket now for about four weeks & love their service. The food is delicious & impressed with pretty much all the dishes that I have received. Knowing that I am receiving top quality, healthy ingredients makes a difference. Yes their plan is a bit more expensive but their presentation of food items & the taste is great as well as being organic. Well thought out organization.”
- One reader shared her re-creation of a delicious broccoli cheddar soup recipe that is in my 5 Ingredient cookbook.
Item from Amazon you didn’t know you needed:
- I’m irrationally excited over these limited edition post its – 15 unique colors!! They’re really pretty in real life!
What I’m Reading
- The Lazy Genius Way – I have absolutely been loving this book. It’s about doing things the way that works for you. I find I do a lot of the things in this book, but the author writes about it so beautifully and I’m over here nodding in agreement. It’s a good book to read heading into a new year.
- I’m looking forward to Heart Bones by Colleen Hoover
- And I’ve heard so many good things about the Maria Carey book…and I’ve heard to listen to it, since I love a good audio book, that’s next on my audible list!
- I’ve been working on a long list of favorite things (products/gadgets/clothes/skincare/utensils/etc.) but it’s not quite ready, here are the top 3:
- This mop – I know I talk about it all the time, it is life changing, lol
- Gold Touch baking sheets – they’re simply the best baking sheets around. We just got a second set and threw out rusty ones.
- Maldon sea salt flakes – use this as finishing salt on everything from savory to sweet!
- Ben has been taking the pillow case off of his pillow and filling it with toys/books/bedding/everything…and then dragging it around and saying he’s “The Grinch”. LOL. He then wants to take it all to “his cave” (behind a chair in his room) and then makes the biggest mess. Not the lesson we wanted him to pick up, lol. But he knows the Grinch gives everything back and loves Christmas. It’s cute.
- We had a babysitter so Nick and on a date lunch – we got curbside food from Bavette La Boucherie in Milwaukee and then drove and parked/ate by the lake. It was so fun!!
- For the past few years, I’ve picked a ‘word of the year’ (as something to help guide the intentions of the year and to come back to.) Last year it was Forward. The year before it was Just Do It. This year, it’s Simplify (as in simplifying things for myself and others!). Do you have a word of the year? I always love hearing and talking about words of the year!!!
Did you Know?
At the bottom of my website, you can take a quick peak at all of the latest photos from my Instagram feed.
The Final Note
- Healthy recipes – here is a roundup of ideas to get your year started!
- Wonder Woman 1984 – I loved it, Nick thought it was ok. I’ve always been such a fan of Gal Gadot. Once in an interview she said her daughter was asking her what she did for a living, and she said “I’m Wonder Woman, all moms are Wonder Women” and that just made me fall in love with her, because it was such a sweet answer.
Do you have a word of the year? I’d love to hear yours, just leave a comment below and let me know!