These might be the single best cupcakes I have ever made….they were SO GOOD! The center is moist and dense and has a wonderful hot chocolate flavor, and then the simple whipped cream frosting makes for the perfect topping, all around DELICIOUS!
When Shannon from The Curvy Carrot Blog posted gorgeous chocolate buttermilk cupcakes I just had to make some cupcakes and I was craving some hot chocolate also (it has been below 10 degrees all week here in Wisconsin), so the idea came to me to marry the two together: hence we have Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. Try these little bad boys out- you will not be disappointed.
- -For the Cupcakes-
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Hot Water
- 6 Tbs Hot Cocoa Powder the brand I used was Equal Exchange
- 4 Tbs butter melted (half a stick)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp baking soda
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- -For the frosting-
- 3/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 Cup confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake pan with 10 liners and set aside. In a bowl add all the ingredients for the cupcakes (for the hot water I just put a coffee mug 3/4 full of hot water in the microwave for about two minutes, then measured 1/2 cup of hot water and added it to the bowl. Mix all ingredients with a spoon until combined, then distribute among the cupcake liners and bake for 13-18 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean). Let cool.
- In a bowl combine the heavy whipping cream and confectioners sugar. Beat with a hand mixer or stand mixer until soft peaks form (about 5 minutes). When the cupcakes are cooled frost them with the whipped cream frosting and enjoy!