Soooo…little announcement…there’s a little something in the oven, so to speak.
I could not be more excited to announce that baby Kelnhofer will be joining our family June 2017!! Nick and I (and of course Clover too) are so thrilled and beyond happy and elated to share this news with you!
Having a baby is something we’ve wanted for a long time. When it doesn’t happen when you want it to, there are so many emotions that go along with it. Then when it does finally happen and you see that positive pregnancy test, you’re in disbelief. At least I know I am/was…I’m pretty sure I’m still in disbelief…except for the sickness that’s constantly reminding me.
I immediately wanted my doctor to see me and confirm it, and tell everyone, but that’s not quite the way it works. The doctor won’t see you for pregnancy related appointments until 8+ weeks to do an ultrasound! Aaaahhh! That’s a long time. But it was all worth it, because during the ultrasound appointment, after hearing the baby’s heartbeat, the baby moved and waved its little flippers-like hands. It was the cutest thing ever! I’m definitely preggo!
So now I thought I’d share some fun info about my pregnancy so far:
How far along are you?
- 12 weeks
When are you due?
- June 21st, 2017
Are you going to find out if it’s a boy or girl?
- YES, I cannot wait to find out!
How are you feeling?
- Many answers to this question – but whomever coined the term ‘morning sickness’ straight up had it wrong. It’s more like ALL DAY and sometimes all night sickness. I’m very nauseous and it’s not fun. I’ve been gagging and nearly vomiting a bunch, and lately that’s turned into horrific vomiting. That’s not tmi is it? It’s seemingly gotten worse. The thing is, before this, I was never a someone who puked. My hubby made fun of me (in a cute way) after the first few times I threw up and it got everywhere, he’s like “haven’t you ever thrown up? I think you’re doing it wrong.” In his defense he’s washed our shower curtain and cleaned with nothing but the utmost compassion. There was the time I threw up all over the Target parking lot. That was not fun. I hear it’s supposed to get better after the first trimester…here’s to hoping next week it will be better?
- It’s been so hard not to tell people, I’m sure friends who I see all the time figured it out because I was constantly tired or sick. I’m not really a big drinker because I usually have some work thing to do, so I know that that hasn’t been a giveaway.
- I’m SO tired. Not just like “oh it was a long day, I’m tired”. It’s more like an alien has taken over my mind and is telling me if I don’t get some rest I will surely die. I’ve gone to bed at 7:30 pm and one time slept 14 hours (10 hours at night and 2, 2 hour naps throughout the day lol).
- And omg chills! I get them all the time. That’s actually how I found out I was pregnant. I really just thought I was getting a cold because I was so sick for two-three days. I would just sit there and shake and be cold. We had been trying for a while so I really didn’t think it was ever going to happen, but I took a test just for the heck of it and it was positive!!!!
How is your husband dealing with everything?
- Now you’re going to make me emotional. He is the best. He is the most loving, the most kind, the most everything this preggo girl could wish for. He’s gone to the grocery store on way more occasions than I care to admit, and has rescued me from a fit of throwing up by throwing out xyz culprit making me sick (like that time I ran out of the kitchen into the bathroom gagging and he’s like “what’s wrong?” and I tearfully told him “there’s hummus in the fridge” – yup, just the thought of it being there made me sick.
- My husband proudly handed me my keys one day and said “you would never have found these” … they were inside a muffin tin, with another muffin tin stacked on top of it? Who knows…
- I lost my favorite seasoning sea salt. I put it on my avocado toast each morning. I had used it the night before and for the life of me, I could not find it anywhere. I ended up throwing out my avocado toast because I just couldn’t deal with it without the salt – very dramatic I know. I tearfully explain my conundrum to my hubby, he goes in search of it, and finds it way in the back of the pantry. Not in the spice cabinet where it always goes lol. oops.
Any strong aversions?
- Bananas – I cant even type more than that. They gross me out to no extent. I think I just vomited in my mouth thinking about them. so gross, the intoxicating smell…I just can’t with bananas. Just this week I walked into one of my coworkers offices and said “oh god you have a banana in here” and ran up and threw up in the bathroom. She felt so bad, it totally wasn’t her fault, it was the stupid banana’s fault. Funny thing is she said she couldn’t even smell it, but to me, it was SO pungent.
- Hummus – the thought of it grosses me out. But hey, this might have been the baby trying to tell me something because there was that crazy recall a few weeks ago, so this is a good thing.
- I’m not really digging meat, just the thought kind of makes my stomach turn. I know I need protein, but ewww, yeah it’s just been an aversion. This could also have something to do with the fact that it hurts when throwing up.
- And cooking has been nearly impossible. I think I’ve cooked twice in the last month. No joke. It’s so bad. Luckily I worked a little ahead this summer, but I’m hoping to get back in the kitchen soon, I really miss it.
Do you have any cravings?
- I’m not having cravings so much, as just like there are only certain things I can eat. I wish I had some crazy cravings, but nope. Right now I can stomach bland things – like bagels or toast.
- I’m trying so hard to have little meals throughout the day, otherwise I get really sick and nauseous. But it’s so hard to find things that I can actually stomach.
- And I’m thirsty all the time. I drink so much water now, it’s crazy.
- I’m also finding that I’m reverting to liking things that my mom used to make for us during childhood. Like an english muffin with a piece of american cheese? That was a treat she made for us sometimes. And there’s this hot wheat breakfast cereal called Farina that I’ve been digging lately that I literally have not had since I was a child.
- Half the time I really don’t feel like eating, but know if I don’t I’ll get a sick feeling.
Other posts you might enjoy:
There you have it, there’s a little something in the oven. I’m pregnant and cannot believe it and am so so SO excited. Any questions I didn’t answer? Any recommendations? I’d love any and all advice! Follow me on Instagram, @philiakelnhofer for more on our life with kids!
So much love and thanks for reading and following my blog!
Congratulations! I’m pregnant too (due in May) and I’m also tired and grossed out by meat most of the time. These days we are eating a lot of Costco rotisserie chicken that my husband shreds up for different dishes. Hormone and antibiotic free. Good luck!
Congratulations to you as well!! Love the suggestion of Costco’s rotisserie chicken, totally going to have to check that out!
Rony Jahid says
Congratulation! Such a great news.
Congratulations! This is the best news, I’m sure you’re thrilled, I absolutely loved your announcement, it doesn’t get much cuter than that! What a great time of year to have a baby, my youngest was due on July 15th and I had her on June 26th. Just a great month to bring a baby into the world you don’t have to contend with cold weather! I can feel the excitement Reading through your blog post, so happy for you guys!
Thank you so much, we are soooo excited 🙂
Little Cooking Tips says
These news are so amazing!!! CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!!!!! We’re really really happy for you!!! Our best wishes for an easy, smooth pregnancy and a healthy and strong baby!!! Awesome news!!!
BIG HUGS AND KISSES!!!
Thank you so SO SOOOOOO much!!! We are beyond excited!! It’s been kind of tough being so sick, but my mother says that’s the sign of an active baby lol, so here’s to hoping 🙂
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says
OMG, CONGRATULATIONS, Phi!!!!!! I am so excited and thrilled for you!! I am keeping ALL my fingers, toes, eyeballs… everything.. crossed that the sickness subsides soon, or at least in your next trimester! So happy for you!!! Cheers!
Awww, thank you so much for your sweet comment, really appreciate that girl!
Yay yay yay! This post makes me so happy!! I hope you start to feel better soon and can get back in the kitchen. Enjoy every moment!!
Thank you so much!!! I literally cannot wait to get back into the kitchen, I’ve been dying to!
Jamie | The Kitchenarium says
Oh Phi! Congratulations! I hope the “morning” sickness subsides soon and that you filled with that second-trimester energy. I am so happy for you <3
Thank you so much Jamie, definitely looking forward to the second trimester 🙂
Denise E. says
Oh my goodness, Phi! I’m so excited for you! Congratulations!! For me it’s almost like being told that I’m going to be a grandma again! I sure hope the “sickness” disappears soon. My oldest will be 44 this year and to this day I cannot eat egg salad.
AWWWWW thank you so much for your sweet comment Denise, totally made my day!
Congratulations Phi and Nick!!! Exciting news, wish you the best.
Thank you so much Cheri, we’re so excited!
Phi, OMG Congrats!! I related to so much of your first trimester feelings and aversions. If it’s any consolation, I started feeling much better around 14 weeks. I hope you do too! I remember the extreme tiredness and hatred of hummus and meat. I basically lived on bagels and cereal for the first trimester. lol! Simple food is best, and frequent snacks/small meals helped keep the nausea at bay. Baby is so small now, you don’t have to worry about eating a ton of healthy stuff yet–there’s be plenty of time later to eat veggies and protein when baby is bigger and needs more nutrients. So excited for you!
Thank you so much for sharing that Trish! I was beginning to think I was alone in this lol. It’s so nice to hear that you started feeling better around week 14 – that means only one week for me to go, definitely fingers crossed and praying over here lol. Thank you again, your comment totally made me feel better.
Lisa @ Wine & Glue says
And . . . . I’m crying again. Seriously just the greatest news of all times. Minus you being violently ill all the time. Sweet lord, I hope that goes away for you soon. Or at the very least lessens some. HUGE congratulations Phi!! This baby is going to be the most beautiful thing you ever make, and that’s saying something because you are crazy talented.
Thank you so much Lisa, your words and kind encouragement always put me in such a great mood. Thank you!
Congratulations! I too have experience the all day sickness for the first 17wks, and I also went back to eating things I had not eaten since I was a child, we had a baby girl (did not find out before she was born)
Hope the sickness leaves you soon. It was also at 17wks that I first felt movement so I hope your sickness will be over very soon and you will be feeling movement before you know it 🙂 enjoy every part of it, such an amazing gift
Hi Sammy, thank you so much for letting me know i’m not alone. Some people said it gets better after week 13, but I’m finding out it’s more like week 16-17 lol. I’m at 13 weeks now, so hopefully only three more weeks! And I cannot wait to feel the first movements, right now my stomach feels fluttery on the inside if that makes sense lol. But I’m so excited for the baby. Thanks again for the lovely comment.
Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) says
Congratulations! That’s wonderful news. Wishing you a peaceful, healthy pregnancy and a happy birth!
Aw, thank you so much, really appreciate the well wishes 🙂
Congratulations hope all goes smoothly x
Thank you so much Vivienne!
Congrats–such a cute way to let us know.
Thank you so much 🙂
Congrats! We adopted our daughter when she was born, and it has been SO fun! Be sure to register for the kitchen helper stand. It is wood, folds flat, and even though she is only two, she begs to be in it before she even gets her coat off! She loves to “help” in the kitchen, even if it is just putting items in the pan. Now you will have your own sous chef!!!
Thank you so much Kate, and congratulations to you as well! I love the look of the kitchen helper stand, I just googled it and it looks absolutely adorable, totally going to add it to my registry!
Laura (A Beautiful Plate) says
Congrats!!! So happy for you and all the excitement ahead. I hope you start to feel better soon! 🙂
Thank you so much Laura! I’m really hoping that the sickness goes away soon 🙂 Until then I’ll be looking at snaps of Marley to make me feel better 😉
So happy for you! Congratulations!!
Thank you so much – we are so excited!!!!
Thank you so much Vickie!
Tina W says
Congratulatuons again. Farina = pure (Serbian dish known by different names. My mom eats it with sour cream to settle her stomach.
Thank you so much for your congratulatory messages, we’re so excited. That’s so great that Farina is a known Serbian dish! I’m totally going to try it with sour cream, thank you for the recommendation
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
Congratulations!! I’m so, so happy for y’all!
Thank you so much! We’re so excited!
Congratulations! I’m so happy for you! Honey, I’ve so been there with all day sickness. For me, it helped have little bits of protein around at times. I found little snack bags of cashews in just about everything I owned with pocket for literally years afterwards! Cashews, string cheese, and peppermint tea were lifesavers. You’ll get through this, and you’ll have a beautiful baby show for it!
Thank you so much Kristen, those are great tips, definitely going to try the protein thing! I do tend to feel better after snacks, so maybe more snacks is the key! I keep telling myself a baby will be there at the end and that makes it all better 🙂
Lynn @ Order in the Kitchen says
YES!!!! FINALLY THE WORLD KNOWS AND I’M SO SO SO EXCITED!!!! I really hope all of your horrible symptoms subside in the next trimester, it’s been so hard being so far away from you when you feel so bad 🙁 I miss you and love you and Nick and hope I get to see you soon!!!
Thank you so so so much girl, love you and you’ve been the best friend ever, and thank you for always listening to my horrible stories lol. I cannot wait to see you hopefully soon!