This recipe for 5 ingredient homemade teriyaki sauce chicken stir fry is quickly becoming a regular on my weekly meal rotation. It is such an easy weeknight meal that comes together in a flash, thanks to the homemade teriyaki sauce. This is my absolute favorite shortcut recipe to make an easy, homemade teriyaki sauce, with only 3 ingredients. It’s so flavorful and if you add chicken and veggies, you have a simple 5 ingredient dinner!
5 ingredient homemade teriyaki sauce chicken stir fry is a quick weeknight meal that the whole family will love. You can make this teriyaki sauce recipe in a flash by combining soy sauce, chili paste and brown sugar, and then use it to cook chicken (or pork, tofu, beef or your protein of choice) and a bag of frozen stir fry veggies.
What ingredients do I need to make 5 ingredient homemade teriyaki sauce chicken stir fry?
- Soy sauce – a staple ingredient in any great stir fry
- Chili paste – you can also choose to use something like Sriracha, Cholula or red pepper paste.
- Brown sugar – this balances out the savory salty soy sauce and spicy chili paste. Pick almost any sweetener you like. Great alternatives are honey or maple syrup.
- Chicken tenderloins – you can also choose to use chicken breast, cut into strips or 1″ cubes. Or you can choose to use any other meat you’d like.
- Frozen stir fry vegetables – I like to buy these as one bag of mixed vegetables; it makes things so easy!
I have this pan – called The Always Pan – and, you guys, it’s amazing! I’ve been using it nonstop. I really like it for a nonstick pan. I didn’t want to like it because of the price tag, but it’s such a great pan and I literally use it every day. So, I do recommend ✔️
All you do is put the chicken in the pan (it’s important to use a good non-stick pan with a little bit of a lip, like The Always Pan) and cover with soy sauce and chili paste. Cook the chicken for a few minutes, break it up and flip it after 5 minutes. This step is essentially the chicken marinating in the soy sauce and building flavor.
After chicken is just about cooked, add brown sugar. You should wait to add the brown sugar until the end, because adding it to early almost caramelizes it. Then, add your veggies and stir. Put a lid on it for 5 min or until veggies are all cooked. If you want a little thicker sauce, remove lid and cook for two more minutes.
I like serving this over a bed of rice (I use 5 minute rice or 90 second microwave rice). It helps make it more of a full meal and the plain white rice helps compliment the salty (and delicious) soy sauce (you could also use any grain of choice like brown rice or quinoa). Enjoy this tasty meal!
5 Ingredient Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Chicken Stir Fry
- The Always Pan
- Put chicken in pan (good non-stick pan with a little bit of a lip. I used The Always Pan). Cover with soy sauce and chili paste. Cook chicken for a bit. Break it up, flip it after 5 min. Chicken is cooking in the soy sauce.
- After chicken is just about cooked through, add brown sugar and stir and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add frozen vegetables and stir. Put a lid on the pan for 5 minutes, or until veggies are all cooked. If you want a little thicker sauce, remove lid and cook for two more minutes.
- Serve over rice.