Weekends are meant for lazy mornings and delicious homemade brunch. These banana pancakes with peach streusel topping are the perfect combination of sweet pancakes with a tart fruit topping and a soft streusel, and they will definitely take your brunch game to the next level.
My hubby and I were sitting on the couch over the weekend, watching Law and Order (obvi) and talking about what we wanted to do for brunch. I didn’t really feel like changing out of my pjs – does that ever happen to you? Lazy mornings are the best!
I moseyed on over to the kitchen and saw our fruit bowl brimming with fruit that probably should have been used during the week: bananas with a few brown spots which were ripe, and two peaches at their very peak. I immediately thought of pancakes! They’re just the perfect weekend breakfast because they’re so customizable. You can use any kind of fruit you’d like as the topping. And, if you maybe don’t have the time to make a streusel/granola topping, there is a super amazing recipe for buttermilk pancakes in my in my cookbook Fast & Easy Five Ingredient Recipes: A Cookbook for Busy People.
One of the many things I love about these pancakes is that the batter can be made in one bowl, which means less clean up – yay! If you make these on the weekend tag me on Instagram, @philiakelnhofer. I love to see what you make!
When making pancakes, there are several tools which really make the process go smoothly:
- Use a griddle – I use this 5-in-1 griddle, it’s amazing!
- Use a light coating of cooking spray on your griddle
- Use a large 3 tablespoon cookie scoop – like this one – for pouring pancake batter onto the griddle, it makes even sized pancakes
- I like to use a pie server – like this one– to flip the pancakes, it works so much better than a plastic flipper thing
These banana pancakes with peach streusel topping – omg – they are so good! The pancakes are slightly sweet and fluffy, the peaches have a nice tartness, and the streusel/granola topping is like the best thing ever! It’s not super hard in texture, it has a nice softness to it which goes really well with the pancakes. Delicious bite after bite!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- The Best Eggless Waffles Recipe
- Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Waffles
- Tres Leches Banana Pancakes
Banana Pancakes with Peach Streusel Topping
- For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice seasoning or homemade ½ teaspoon cinnamon with ¼ teaspoon ginger and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- For the pancakes:
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk I use skim milk, but I've also used whole milk or almond milk, so milk of choice can be used
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice or homemade ½ teaspoon cinnamon with ¼ teaspoon ginger and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- For topping:
- 2 peaches sliced
- Start by making the streusel topping. In a medium sauce pot add all the ingredients and stir, cooking over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring ocassionally to break up any large pieces. Remove from heat.
- To make the pancakes: turn griddle on to high. Melt butter in a bowl, about 30 seconds or until melted, then add in the 2 bananas and mash them with a fork, little lumps are ok.
- Next add in the egg and milk and stir until combined.
- Pour in the pumpkin spice seasoning, baking soda, baking powder and flour and then stir until combined.
- Lightly spray griddle with cooking spray. Scoop three tablespoons or even amounts of batter onto the griddle and cook until the batter starts to bubble up (about 3 minutes) then flip and cook for another minute, then transfer to a plate.
- Cut the peaches up, and then to serve the pancakes place 3 pancakes on a plate, top with 1/4 of the streusel topping and top with some peach slices, enjoy