All hail the glorious waffle with these incredibly delicious whole wheat banana chocolate chip waffles, light and fluffy with a crispy outside, these waffles are everything you want and dream of in a waffle for a perfect weekend breakfast.
Waffles are a total weekend breakfast food. During the week I’m scrambling just to get out the door, let alone make breakfast (I’m usually throwing together a quick green power smoothie, grabbing a quick and healthy breakfast cookie out of the freezer or, if I’m super on top of things, I’ll have a vanilla over night oats I can grab) so I don’t have time to sit there and make waffles. It’s not a super labor intensive dish or anything, but you do make a batter and then cook them, one at a time, so it’s something I like to do at leisure on the weekends.
I seriously cannot believe that I waited 30 years to make my first homemade waffle. I love waffles! The crispy little outsides and the dense flavors while the waffle itself is flight, and they can be topped with things (whipped cream anyone?), waffles are just amazing….but I had never ventured into making my own…because I didn’t have a waffle maker! I had been lamenting this fact to my husband, and for Christmas he got me a super duper cool gift: an All-Clad Waffle Maker!
In typical hubby fashion, he had done a bunch of research, and this waffle maker had the best reviews. I was SO excited when I found it under the tree. I am a food blogger so any kitchen appliance gift I’m given, chances are I’m going to totally LOVE IT, and I totally did – I can attest to the fact that this waffle maker worked like charm! There was no learning curve with this waffle maker, I just plugged it in, read the quick instructions and got to cooking!
Waffle batter is different than pancake batter, it needs to be a little thicker than say pancakes (like these tres leches banana pancakes). I love using bananas in breakfast foods because it gives them a nice natural sweetness while also incorporating fruit into the start of your day. To make these whole wheat banana chocolate chip waffles you mix up the batter, then scoop it into the waffle maker (I like to use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop like this one to do so) and then let the waffle maker do its magic and voila, a delicious waffle!
Other breakfast recipes you might enjoy:
- Healthy Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- The Best Eggless Waffles Recipe
- The Easiest Banana Bread Muffins
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Waffles
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 3/4 cup milk I used skim
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and milk for 30 seconds, then stir and let microwave it for another 30 seconds, then stir again (if the coconut oil has not melted, microwave for an additional 30 seconds.)
- Mash the bananas and add them to the coconut oil and milk, then add in the egg, stir, and add in the vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Fold in the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Sprinkle in the mini chocolate chips and stir.
- Heat your waffle iron, spray it with cooking spray or melt a little coconut oil on it and scoop 2 tablespoons of batter into the middle of the iron (if you need a little more batter for your waffle iron scoop it into the middle) and the cook until done (mine took 3 minutes per waffle).
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, if you purchase amazon products through my store at no cost to you, I will earn a few pennies. As always, all thoughts and opinions are mine alone, thank you for supporting the brands and products that making the SweetPhi blog possible.