Hi Friends, this week on Catching Up With The Kelnhofers-15, we’re talking all things Thanksgiving and questioning whether or not a reindeer is dead!
Every year we go to this cookie book event put on my the power company (odd, but cute). They hand out a holiday cookie recipe book and give a free cookie out. I’ve been going with Nick’s family since I moved to Milwaukee 8 years ago. You can either go through a drive through lane and get the cookie book (it’s a small spiral bound book) or you can go to the ‘activities’ which is basically picking up the book, getting a cookie, and then getting to take a picture with and see reindeer. We bundled up all the kids and went to the event. In line, I literally turned to Nick and asked him ‘Is the reindeer dead’ lol – like he wasn’t moving, had his eyes closed and looked out of it. The other reindeer in a little pen was laying down and not looking much better. Nick assured me that they were alive, and then I looked at the pictures and the reindeer had opened his eyes. All in all a super fun morning!
One of my favorite Christmas cookies are these eggnog cookies that I adapted from a recipe in a previous year’s We Energies cookbook.
New on the Blog:
- How to Make a Thanksgiving Turkey
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers
- 5 Ingredient Blueberry Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
What to Make:
Turkey is obviously the star of the show, but don’t overlook how tasty Thanksgiving side dishes can be! For this Catching Up With The Kelnhofers-15 I’m sharing:
- Cheesy potatoes – who doesn’t love cheese and potatoes?! This is a slow cooker recipe so it’s perfect for when you’re running low on oven space.
- Sweet potato casserole – potatoes are the perfect thing to put in a slow cooker and this recipe helps you re-create the flavors of a classic Thanksgiving favorite.
- Broccoli divine – this dish is always a favorite, whenever I make it. It is seriously everyone’s fave and it’s broccoli!
- Roasted squash and sweet potatoes – a great side option for even the healthiest of eaters
- Mushroom gravy – you can’t have turkey without gravy and this is one of my favorite ways to make it
My pumpkin loaf recipe is an absolute fave amongst my readers. Just a sampling of your amazing comments about this recipe are below:
- “Just made this for the second time! SO perfect! Great to have a gluten free recipe that is do delicious and easy! Spices are perfect. And I just discovered the 1to1 gluten free flour and it works so well. Thanks for this recipe!!”
- “This pumpkin bread is amazing! Great texture- can not tell it is gf at all. I used Pamela’s gf all purpose flour. Thanks for the great recipe!”
- “Made this today in hopes that my two Gluten Free daughters would tell me this was a keeper. Tell me they did! Moist, flavorful and we definitely will make again. Soon. Thank you for this terrific recipe!”
General stories/things I’m loving:
- We got our Christmas stockings from Pottery Barn Kids – the woodland collection – and they are just so stunning and beautiful in person! It made me so excited for the holiday season with the kids!
- The twins got walkers and I cannot tell you how much they are loving them. Freddie especially. Ben is the sweetest older brother too – he loves handing them toys to play with while they’re in their walkers.
- Aren’t baby clothes with little things on the bums the cutest?
- Wowza – this book made me cry! It’s a heavy one but a good one: A Woman Is No Man. Next on my list is The Bookish Life of Nina Hill!
- We celebrated the Serbian celebration called Slava (The Slava is a Serbian Orthodox Christian tradition of the ritual glorification of one’s family’s patron saint. The family celebrates the Slava annually on the saint’s feast day. I made Vanilice cookies with Ben – here are some pictures from the event. My father-in-laws birthday was the same day (below left with Freddie, Frankie fell asleep when I was getting her dressed, and please note Ben and Freddien were matching down to the bow tie.)
- Whenever I have a work from home day or a blog working day, Ben wants to be involved. It’s very cute – he comes in my office and joins in on the fun.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s Catching Up With The Kelnhofers-15!
Do you have any fun family traditions you’d like to share? I’d love to hear about them! Just leave a comment below and let me know.
Until next time,