This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing all sorts of Christmas baking fun, a great Christmas crafts if you have little ones and a quick update on caramel purchasing!
Today is the last day to order the Hint of Salt goat’s milk caramel sauce I collaborated with Fat Toad Farm on in order to get it by Christmas!!
It’s the most delicious caramel sauce you’ll ever have, and makes for a perfect Christmas gift! Make sure to use code SWEETPHI at checkout (helps us track orders on the backend).
Besides being SUPER delicious, a spoonful in your coffee transforms coffee into a caramel coffee <-pretty sweet way to start your day if you ask me 😉
And it’s great for baking all those holiday treats with (like these caramel pretzel bite candies).
New on the blog:
- 5 ingredient peanut butter banana fudge – Nick loves banana desserts so this was a fave of his (not going to lie, everyone who tried this has raved about it and said they couldn’t stop eating it.
- Catching up with the Kelnhofers – a family update from last week
- The best salted caramel chocolate chip cookies – a recipe repost, where I get to use the most delish Fat Toad Farm caramel mentioned above.
- Caramel pretzel bite candies – great for holiday cookie tins!
- Cheesy potatoes – I made a few updates on this recipe – it’s made in a slow cooker and only 5 ingredients!
- Food gift roundup – for those impossible to shop for, last minute gift ideas!
- Love List – ideas, inspiration, stories and fun from around the web.
Theme of the week:
It’s Christmas cookie season, and this year we’re ALL in on the baking. We’re planning to do lots of cookie baking as a family this year and here are some of the things we’re making!
- Peanut brittle – you don’t even need a candy thermometer for this!
- All of the delicious caramel recipes mentioned above 👆🏻
- Sugar cookies that hold shape – the best, classic, sugar cookie recipe that you can decorate for days with the kiddos!
- Sea salt turtle cups – I’ve been making these for years in our family cookie tins.
- If you need more inspiration, you can find it here and here.
What I Made:
- 5 Ingredient stovetop mac n’ cheese and the kids LOVED it.
- I also made French Dip sandwiches (recipes in my 5 Ingredient Cookbook; so easy and family friendly.
- This recipe from Minimalist Baker for healthy 5-ingredient peppermint patties was super good.
- For all those soups and stews, I made slightly sweet skillet cornbread. It was so nice to have a side.
- Something random and delicious Nick thought up. I made my recipe for 5 ingredient sour cream and chive dip and then we had it with a baked potato and some homemade tomato soup.
Seeing these two comments on my sugar cookie recipe makes me want to make a few batches this weekend for sure!
- “I made these for a Christmas Party. They turned out awesome but definitely made more like 30ish because a few were fat as I didn’t realize they’d get a little wider. I just want to say thank you for taking the time to make this recipe and share it! I’m not a baker so I followed the recipe precisely.”
- “Made these with my 2 1/2 year old and they were the BEST! I did leave out the lemon zest and subbed in almond extract. Making another batch this weekend.”
Keeping the sugar cookie love going with these festive recreations of my sugar cookies that actually hold shape.
Things I’m Loving
- Ha – did you see this about how Nigella Lason pronounces microwave?
Item from Amazon you didn’t know you needed:
- USB rechargeable LIGHTER!!! Especially around the holidays when I’m always looking for matches or a lighter, but then always find ours to be out of fluid.
What I’m Reading
- Gah, I just wish I had more time, I am LOVING The Guest List – it has me thinking about the next time I can listen.
- Also just downloaded The Boy’s Club on audible – a friend recommended it and I can’t wait!
- I’ve heard so much about In a Holidaze so I’m ordering a paperback to try to read a little bit before bed.
- Nick’s work Christmas party was seeing the drive through Christmas lights, so we dressed the kids in Christmas jammies and went.
- We were so impressed, it was such a fun (safe for Covid times) family activity!
- I try going outside with the kids at least once a day, but man is it hard trying to chase all three!
- Every week we get pick up/carry out at a local restaurant to help support the industry. This past week we had Kin by Rice n Roll in Milwaukee/Wauwatosa. Ben ate the spicy part off the top of a sushi as we were trying to tell him not to lol, you live and you learn. The food was so so good, we’ll definitely be back. AND they have bubble tea. I would recommend the Unagi Don (bbq eel bowl thing, it was insanely good).
- St. Nick visited us, each kid got a little book, the softest Christmas jammies I keep talking about, and some candy (gold coins). Do you know St. Nicks? Several of my friends had no idea what I was talking about (here is some basic info about St. Nicholas day)
- Heartwarming moment of the day: Ben picked up the run in his rug and schlepped it into the babies room so that everyone could play together in the morning.
- The babies sat on big people chairs!!! Soon no more high chairs (they’re so big and I am constantly stubbing my toe on them!) Also, they are playing peek-a-boo and it is the cutest thing ever.
- Burrr it’s getting cold so we have to bundle everyone up for walks.
- Ok, we did the MOST FUN HOLIDAY craft/activity with the kids. We got THIS KIT and made ornaments!!
Did you Know?
At the bottom of my website, I have recipes broken down by section that are curated for whatever time of year it is. So now, you can see all of my favorite winter recipes, slow cooker recipes, Christmas recipes and more!
The Final Note
- Most visited blog post last week: 5 of the best freezer meals – no pre-cooking required, just prep and freeze! I’m so happy to hear how you’re loving this!
- Did you know that this recipe for caramel chocolate thumbprint cookies has a great video along with it? So, if you don’t want to read through the instructions, take a peak at the video to get an idea of how to bake these yourself!
- This turtleneck sweater – it’s on sale for $20 from Target!
Are you doing any Christmas baking? I’d love to know, so just leave a comment below and let me know!