This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, I’m sharing all things pickled! Plus, a peak into some of our birthday celebrations for the kids and the best magic green sauce you’ll never want to put down.
What’s crunchy, tangy and delicious?
Did you raise your hand and emphatically say “pickles”?
Yup, that’s right, pickles!! I love pickles and anything pickled, but I’m kind of scared of canning. I know, I’m a baby, but I’m just scared of a. botulism and b. all the equipment required.
So what do I do? I quick pickle!! It’s what I do with a lot of summer veggies (like cucumbers, carrots, jalapeños). They make a great addition to meals like rice bowls or sandwiches.
Here are some of my faves:
- Quick pickled vegetables – great for green beans, carrots, zucchini, etc.
- Bread and butter pickles – I make mine a little less sweet and more dill forward, they’re SO GOOD!
- Quick pickled Asian vegetables – these goes great on ground turkey and rice bowls
- Korean bbq tacos with quick pickled cucumbers – Taco Tuesday just got more delicious
- Quick pickled celery – I don’t know about you, but I always have extra celery, this is a great quick way to use it
- Quick pickled eggs – This is the recipe I probably make most frequently, with a piece of toast this makes the perfect quick lunch.
These Weck Jars are my favorite for storage of quick pickled things
Also – toast, cream cheese, and pickle slices, definitely delicious and not weird, right?
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com!
- Weekly meal plan – there’s a new feature where you can print ALL the recipes in the plan at once!
- S’Mores Bars – better than the typical ‘blondie’ type bar, these are just incredible
- 4th of July Recipes – a quick recap of everything you should cook this weekend
- Love List – this week it’s all about home decor, new podcasts and favorite hair care products
- Cheesy bacon dip – simply put, the best dip ever!
I love when readers leave comments that help one another out – just like this comment left on my recipe for 5 ingredient blueberry dump cake.
- “I just made this for a small gathering tonight and it is gone, so I would say a success. I added a ½ TBSP of Nellie & Joes Key West Lemon Juice as I don’t have lemon extract on hand as others suggested and it turned out perfect at the 40 min mark. Going to make another one tomorrow.”
More sweets on the mind! Check out this reader recreation for my banana caramel swirl cake. Looks tasty!
This collapsible travel hat from Amazon is cute and functional and perfect for throwing in your beach bag!
- Malibu Rising is one of the best books I’ve read this year. Moving, well written and so good. I don’t want to give anything away, but the ending was so perfect and full circle I was crying and had goosebumps!
- Good Company was recommended to me and is next on my list. “A warm, incisive new novel about the enduring bonds of marriage and friendship from Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney, author of the instant New York Times best seller The Nest”
- Kids’ big birthday. It was the kids’ big day – their birthday!!! We celebrated with balloons, candles, cake and all our other birthday traditions.
- Birthday donuts. My in-laws had a birthday dinner for the kids and got them donuts (there’s a flavor of the month at Grebes Donuts and whoever has a birthday gets the flavor of the month for the dessert!) Can you tell who really liked the chocolate frosting? Oh Frankie lol.
- Family grocery store adventure. We were out of milk and basically everything after getting home from vacation, so we decided to go to Trader Joe’s as a family. It was funny – all the kids got to pick something to put into the cart – Frankie got gluten free pretzels, Ben got marshmallows, and Freddie got raisin bran cereal (I’m thinking for the twins it was all based on packaging color and what they could see at eye level.)
- Dirt and rain. Nick took the kids outside to play with the water table and I was going to get dressed and join them, all of a sudden the sky went dark and it started pouring rain. I went outside to bring them towels and started laughing when I saw Nick chasing them with the hose towards the house. Apparently they were just playing with the mud NEAR the water table and were completely dirty so he was cleaning them off, lol.
- Allie Boys Bagels. We tried lunch from Allie Boys Bagelry and Luncheonette – super delicious and sandwiches so big you can barely hold! I loved all the different spreads they had too.
- This Magic Green Sauce is truly magic and delicious. We used it to make the best chicken sandwich (via Serious Eats).
- So many people have been telling me to watch Working Moms on Netflix. Have you seen it? It looks hilarious and so relatable!
- I love bubbly waters, especially when pregnant and not enjoying a glass of wine. This is one of my favorite brands and I just saw that they came out with two new flavors; coconut pineapple and passionfruit.
Do you like pickles? I feel like they are a love/hate thing, so I’d love to know! Just leave a comment below and let me know.