These Cherry Chocolate Chip No Bake Energy Bites come together in a flash, are super delicious, and best of all are a super healthy snack option!
I’m sure everyone has seen some version or another of no bake energy bites. I know I’ve heard of them for ages and seen all sorts of recipes, but never have I actually had one or tried to make them myself. To be honest, I was a little put off by the thought of making them. I was convinced I would need twenty thousand ‘trendy’ ingredients that I would never use again and wasn’t convinced that they’d taste all that good.
I had a few leftover dates from when I was making party appetizers and decided to ‘wing it’ and try making energy bites by combining ingredients in my food processor.
HOLY WOW! The end result was so absolutely delicious, consider my mind blown!
The natural sweetness of the dates melds perfectly with the tart dried cherries and then is nestled perfectly with the rich chocolate flavors!
They taste like a combination between a brownie and a piece of fudge, and I just can’t stop raving about them! Plus, they’re super healthy:
- Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals. Essential minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc are found in dates. It also contains vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K. (source)
- Sweet or sour, cherries are bursting with nutrition. These petite stone fruits can help improve your health, from a better night’s rest to a trimmer tummy to managing other diseases (source)
- Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that can positively affect your health. Made from the seed of the cocoa tree, it is one of the best sources of antioxidants on the planet. Studies show that dark chocolate (not the sugary crap) can improve health and lower the risk of heart disease (source)
- Dried fruits are very high in antioxidants. They’re wonderful because they’re very transportable. They’re a great snack, and they’re high in fiber, which is a big plus, because our bodies need to consume more fiber than we currently are consuming. Dates are very high in antioxidants. Any dried fruit has higher antioxidants than the fruit itself because there is less water. It’s concentrated. Dark chocolate is number 1 in antioxidants (from Best Food Facts expert Dr. Vinson)
- 1 cup dates pits removed (I used medjool dates but you could also use deglet nour dates)
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 Tbs water
- Remove pits from dates and place dates in a food processor along with the water. Run the food processor for about 30 seconds, and then add all the other ingredients and pulsate again until it is a smooth paste-like consistency.
- If it is too thick and not coming together, add a little bit more water (only a 1/2 teaspoon water at a time)
- With a spoon (careful not to hurt yourself with the food processor blades) scoop batter and roll between hands to form a ball. Place in a little wrapper or simply on a plate. You can refrigerate the energy bites for 30 minutes or store them in the refrigerator if you want a fudgier consistency (I did this and loved it!)
For this recipe you need a good food processor. I used this food processor, it is my favorite kitchen appliance ever, like ever ever!
Have you ever made energy bites?
This post contains an affiliate link, if you purchase amazon products through my store at no cost to you, I might get a few pennies.
Lynn @ The Actor's Diet says
We’ve got a few dates left over – I want to make these! I’m scared of cleaning out my food processor/blender though…
As long as your dates are pitted you should be totally fine. I was a little hesitant at first too, but after making date bites a few times… I’m hooked 🙂
Lynn @ Order in the Kitchen says
Well color me super sad that I can’t eat these right now… I mean WOW
Haha, thank you so much girl! Trust me, when we’re done with Whole30 I’m making these, again, stat!
Liz @ The Lemon Bowl says
These look so good! I love chocolate + cherry together!
Chocolate and cherry are one of my favorite flavor combos too! Thank you so much for commenting 🙂
Rachel @ Bakerita says
Mmm I love dates, and these bites look so perfect and delicious!! Love the cherry addition too 🙂
Thank you so much Rachel, chocolate and cherry are one of my favorite flavor combinations too!
Oh girl. I LOVE me some no bake energy bites! And I am drooling over these chocolate cherry. Gotta make for my next batch!
Aren’t no bake energy bites the best? Thank you so much for commenting girl!
These bites are amazing! Can’t wait to make them!
Thank you so much, they’re super tasty 🙂