SNICKERS® Popcorn Mix and Skittles® Green and Gold cupcakes make perfect treats for your next football party and are part of a shop that has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are as always mine alone. #BigGameTreats #CollectiveBias
Here’s a little fun fact about me: I live in the state of Wisconsin.
You might think ok, good for her, and not think anything of it. But let me tell you something about the state of WI…’Wisconsinites’ sure take their football seriously. The colors of green and gold are prominently displayed with pride everywhere.
So naturally when my husband was having some friends over for the game he asked if I could throw a green and gold party. A themed party? Yes, I’m all about that!
As I was shopping at Walmart and thinking what I could make that would fit into the theme I found myself in the candy aisle and just had to get SNICKERS … remember when I made Husband Brownies – Peanut Butter SNICKERS Brownies ? … I just had to make something with SNICKERS that would be worthy of a homegating recipe, and I had just the recipe in mind, a SNICKERS popcorn mix – hey, everyone likes snacking on popcorn while watching the big game, right?
Along with SNICKERS I decided to get Skittles and set out to create recipes for the football party.
I used SNICKERS in a SNICKERS Popcorn Mix. The popcorn mix was such a hit, I even got the sweetest text from one of the party goers:
In case you’re wondering what I’m talking about in reference to the ‘cup thing’…let me tell you…another friend (also in attendance at our party) had given us this absolutely gorgeous rosemary plant (really it was more like a bush) but it was infested with fruit flies. I don’t know if you’ve ever had fruit flies in your home…but they’re the worst! Just the absolute worst, they multiply and just don’t go away. Elisabeth was kind enough to share some a recipe for a little death trap that totally worked (water, dish soap, and vinegar). It worked so well that I’ll do a little tutorial on it soon.
But back to the popcorn mix. It is one of those things that is just so good you’re tempted to give it a catchy name like SNICKERS Popcorn’ Crack’ but I personally hate trendy names ending in ‘crack’ because they’re usually such a let down. This SNICKERS popcorn mix is definitely not a let down, it’s one of the best party snacks I’ve ever made (one of my mother-in-laws friends makes an amazing popcorn mix that was the inspiration for this recipe.) EVER!
Making the popcorn mix is super easy actually, you’ll chop up SNICKERS bars, make a coating and stir everything together and let cool. That’s it, then you serve, and you’ll watch it disappear. Everyone loved it!
The little Skittles cupcakes come together easily too and are topped with Skittles (use your favorite team colors!)
Since they’re mini they’re super easy for guests to enjoy!
There was even a little football throwing and learning how to throw it in our tiny kitchen…I’m going to pretend like I didn’t notice… and good thing the snacks served as a distraction!
Is football big where you live? And what are some of your favorite ways to celebrate game day?
- For the SNICKERS Popcorn Mix-
- 6 SNICKERS bars cut into small pieces
- 10 cups popped popcorn premade or microwaveable with no salt
- 3 cups rice crispy cereal
- 16 oz white chocolate chips
- 2 Tbs creamy peanut butter
- For the Skittles Cupcakes-
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tbs lemon zest zest from 1 lemon
- Frosting -
- 4 Tbs butter 1/2 stick
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 24 Skittles pick your team colors!
- To make the SNICKERS popcorn mix-
- Put popcorn and rice cereal in a large bowl (if you don't have a bowl big enough you can make this in two bowls and just put half of everything in one bowl and the other half in another bowl).
- Chop up the SNICKERS bars (I cut each bar in 3s the long way and then into little pieces.) Put the candy pieces in the bowl with the popcorn and stir a few times to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the white chocolate chips and peanut butter by microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until smooth and creamy (mine took about 2 minutes).
- Pour the white chocolate peanut butter mixture over the popcorn mixture and stir until all the popcorn is coated. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and spoon popcorn onto the parchment paper. Allow to cool for an hour or two, and then break into pieces and pour in a bowl and serve!
- For the Skittles Cupcakes-
- Preheat oven to 350 and line mini muffin pan with 24 liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer) cream together the butter and the sugar, then add the egg and combine, then add the milk and combine, then add the baking powder, baking soda, flour and lemon zest. Beat until smooth and creamy. Use a tablespoon scoop or a tablespoon and drop 1 tbs of batter into each lined cup. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to completely cool.
- To make the frosting start by creaming the butter, then scrape down sides and add the vanilla, lemon juice and milk. Beat, and then scrape down sides again and add the powdered sugar slowly, then beat again to combine until desired consistency. If it is too stiff, add a little milk, if it is too runny add a little more powdered sugar. Spoon frosting into a bag and cut off the end and pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top each cupcake with a skittle and enjoy!