This weeks Five Ingredient Friday recipe is near and dear to my heart-it’s a recipe my mother taught me, and one I make all the time! It’s a recipe for The Perfect Meatball! The best thing about this recipe is that the meat can be interchanged with different ones….I’ve made this recipe with Ground Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Pork, Beef…you get the idea. This recipe is really easy to make, you just put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands (you read that right, use your hands!) One of my little sisters used to hate touching the meat with her bare hands so she would put little sandwich bags around her hands before mixing and forming the meatballs…it was quite funny to watch.
And what’s better than simple, delicious, meatballs on a bed of whole wheat pasta with some marinara sauce and sprinkled with a little Parmesan and fresh herbs? Best thing about this recipe…you have a totally delicious meal in 30 minutes.
- 1. 1.25 lbs ground meat
- 2. 1 egg
- 3. 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 4. 1 garlic clove crushed
- 5. 1/2 onion either chopped very finely or grated on a cheese grater (that's the we like it prepared best in my house-also great way to add the onion flavor without chunks on onion for those onion haters)
- a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray, or use a piece of parchment paper to line a baking sheet, no cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients and pinch or two of salt and pepper (you don't need too much because the Italian seasoned bread crumbs really give the meatballs flavor). Wash your hands well and then mash/knead all ingredients with your hands until everything is evenly mixed together. Form 1-2 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, turn meatballs over on baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then serve.
As you can see, I’ve made meatballs a time or two on this blog: