This week on Catching up with the Kelnhofers, we’re talking about tomatoes. Plus, I’m sharing a few fun family adventures in downtown Milwaukee and asking for some help on designing our living room – I need your input!
It’s hot hot hot here in Milwaukee, is it where you are too? It’s also tomato season, so I wanted to share some of my favorite recipes.
Here are just some of the tomato recipes I am loving:
- Peach and tomato panzanella salad – one of my absolute favorites from last summer!
- Tomato rosemary focaccia – impress everyone with this simple and delicious recipe
- Tomato cucumber salad – another winner in the summer salad department
- Whole wheat green tomato galette – made with only 4 ingredients and a fun alternative to your traditional tomato.
- Grape tomato tart – beautifully fresh and tasty (one of Nicks all time FAVORITE recipes I make!).
- Oven roasted balsamic tomatoes – made with only 5 ingredients; always my favorite when there aren’t too many ingredients to mess around with
- An easy roundup of what to do with all of your fresh tomatoes.
Sharing the latest posts up on Sweetphi.com!
- Broccoli egg breakfast bowls – only 5 ingredients and so good for breakfast, lunch or light dinner!
- Weekly meal plan – making meal planning easier for you (including an easy to create grocery list!)
- Road trip with kids – full of my best tips and tricks and what’s worked well for us (and what hasn’t!)
- Back of the Box Ghirardelli brownies – so rich, ooey and gooey. Oh and absolutely amazing.
- Love List – weekly favorites from around the web!
- Make-ahead freezer quiche – a flexible dish that can be made ahead of time is always good in my book!
- “My hubby requested my poor man’s sloppy Joe’s for supper tonight. I am out of ketchup! We live 25 miles from the closest store so I’m not going to go get some. I find your recipe. No fresh tomatoes either. I do have Rotel canned tomatoes with green chilies, so…..why not. I drained the can of tomatoes really well and mixed in blender with the other ingredients minus the salt because I figured it was already in the canned tomatoes. Excellent!!! Spicy ketchup!! You saved my sloppy Joe’s!!”
A reader recently made my sour cherry muffins and took this adorable photo. Thanks for sharing!
Make sure to check out more reader recreations here and keep sending yours in or tagging me on social media. I love to see what you’re making!
- This diffuser that Alyssa talks about in our weekly Love List. It’s a great way to diffuse calming scents throughout the house and the design blends right into your decor.
- I decided on Golden Girl by Elin Hilderbrand “In this satisfying pause-resister from “the queen of beach reads” (New York Magazine), a Nantucket novelist has one final summer to protect her secrets while her loved ones on earth learn to live without their golden girl.”
ALSO!! I recently re-discovered my love of the library, so I’m also reading:
- That Summer by Jennifer Weiner – great summertime read
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig – it’s a major NYT bestseller!
- School Photos. I LOVE school photos of the kids. Sadly with the pandemic last year, we missed them, so last year I took some. It was time for this years’ photos, so here they are!!
- Photo paper backdrop. I always get asked what I used for a background. Last year I bought a few rolls of paper (like this) and this stand, it comes completely apart and is honestly the best $50 I’ve spent!!
- Pool day. Freddie continues to hate the water, Frankie loved being on a raft and being pushed around like a princess, and Ben swam with his floaties on by himself!!! We were so impressed.
- Walk by the Lake. We took the kids on a walk by the Lakefront (Lake Michigan). It was such a nice summer day, but the twins didn’t make it very far before getting tired (there’s a really long path down there.
- Birds exhibit. If you live in Milwaukee, you should definitely check out the Rebirth Birds Exhibit. Since we didn’t make it with the family, I took Ben on a special outing, just the two of us. It was SO COOL!!!! The exhibit is only up through August 1st!
- We went to the new Milwaukee location opening of Tupelo Honey Southern Kitchen and Cafe! Delicious Southern food, the shrimp & grits were my favorite!
- You know what’s back? Virgin River!!!! Each episode is like a small Hallmark movie lol. So good! A reader once told me there was 21+ books in the series, so I hope the show keeps going. But there are some major plot breaks that don’t make sense – SPOILER ALERT AHEAD – (like between season 2 and 3…what happened with Jack, and did Charlene not get any more pregnant between the passage of time?)
- Living room/family room saga design help. This is an ongoing ‘thing’ I’ll be talking about, so I know I mentioned it in this past weeks’ Love List, but in case you missed that, let me fill you in: we’re trying to figure out our Family Room/Living Room situation; there’s literally 1 couch in there and it looks rough. We had a disastrous ‘free online design consultation’ with a store whose furniture I like, it was literally someone kind of showing us how to click on their website, lol. Then I remembered my very positive experiences with Havenly (<- get $80 off a full package or $30 off a mini package if you use my referral link!) an online design service which I’ve used 3 times now and shared about for the twins and a toddler shared room and home office at our old house and then home office in our new house. So I’m going to use them again and keep you posted! If you have any favorite couches that are a family/kid friendly or design ideas, please send them my way!!!
This week I’m wondering about your living room/family room design and if you have any tips/suggestions (please send them my way)! That, and TOMATOES….love ‘em? Any favorite recipes? Just leave a comment below and let me know!