I’m not gonna lie…being able to walk to your garden and pick fresh tomatoes and then make amazing things is such a fulfilling feeling.
Our garden has really taken off this year and has allowed me to make many fantastic tomato dishes, like rosa tomato sauce and homemade ketchup, and now these grape tomato tarts. HOLY WOW! They are so delicious!
We have a two varieties of grape tomatoes, red grape tomatoes and sun grape tomatoes which are a beautiful yellow in color.
To make the tarts you’ll start by making the tart crusts which is delicious cornmeal crust that is light and crisp. You can make the crusts free form, but I found these little paper tart forms that worked out perfectly!
Once you have the tart forms done, it’s a breeze, you put some fresh mozzarella in, then sprinkle in a little shredded mozzarella, then load up the tomatoes, bake and enjoy!
And just look at how beautiful the tarts come out:
Then just take little bites of this deliciousness!
- -For the crusts-
- 2 Cups All Purpose flour - plus 1-2 tbs for dusting
- 1/2 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbs Salt
- 1 Stick Butter cold, unsalted and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Cup Ice Water
- -For the filling-
- 2 Cups Grape Tomatoes
- 4-6 oz Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella reduced fat part skim
- 1-2 Tbs Mediterranean Sea Salt
- To make the crusts pulse flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in a food processor (about 3 times to combine). Then add the butter pieces, pulse about 8 times until the butter is incorporated, then slowly drizzle in the ice water and then process until everything is combined and the dough comes together in the food processor (about a minute). Remove ingredients from the food processor and form a ball. Then out of that ball divide it into two other balls, then repeat that until you have 8 small balls. Flatten into discs. Lay out a piece of plastic wrap, lay 8 discs on it, cover it with another piece of plastic wrap and put in the freezer for half an hour.
- After half an hour lightly dust a board with flour, then roll out the discs and line tart forms (or free form them into crusts.)
- Preheat oven to 350. When tart dough is done being formed, add in about half an once to an ounce of fresh mozzarella, then top it with a pinch or two of shredded mozzarella, then lay 8-10 grape tomatoes on top and sprinkle with Mediterranean sea salt. Repeat with all tarts, place tarts on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the tops of the tomatoes are browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before enjoying!